View Single Post
      07-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Okay, perhaps I'll feel differently tomorrow. My son drives 90 miles at 75 miles per hour in 4th gear (automatic) in a 2001 Volvo V70 wagon.

He is a junior meathead football player who fits the profile of a dumb jock.

Car indicator light starts flashing and says stop immediately. After inspection and oil everywhere, he basically melted the engine, because he apparent drove the car with no oil in it - probably burning a good chunk of it running 75 mph in 4th gear.

After about 3k in service and 3.5k purchase, all down the tubes because he was bored. Also, he says, "I didn't know he needed to check the oil."

While I don't force him to do the same studious things I did when I was in school, he is such a dolt.

Sorry for venting, I still love him.

Okay, you hit a sore point. My dad used to call me an idiot and I hated him for it until the day he died. Turns out I was smarter than him, but that's another story.

You precious son, the future of our planet, broke your Volvo. Given your lofty title as a global scientist must put a lot of pressure on this poor boy. I mean, how could he ever measure up to that?

You use words like apparently and possibly; were you in the car when the engine melting took place? You say he drove in 4th gear. The V70 4th gear ratio is .87 to 1 which is very close to 7th gear in our F30 8ATs, certainly not enough to melt an engine in and of itself. Is is possible that the car simply broke while he was driving it?

The owner of a company I worked for accused the VP of Sales of ruining a company car in much the same way. The VP of Sales was a car buff and knew he had done nothing wrong, yet the owner just couldn't let it go. The VP quit and went to work for the competitor and has spent the past 30 years kicking that owners ass in the market. Turns out there was a known problem for that engine and a recall was forthcoming, but not in time to stop the damaged relationship.

No car is worth your relationship with your son. I'm sure he feels badly enough as it is. Maybe a teachable moment would be a good idea so he can explain to his son or daughter about how cars work and how to take car of them.

Good luck!

Last edited by sygazelle; 07-29-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 4