View Single Post
      04-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I believe in Normal mode - there may be second gear starts - hence the lag. If you drive in in the DS mode or Sport - that goes away. No big deal.

The brakes are grabby - but good. Like any car - once you get used to them it is fine.
They stop this heavy car with excellent performance. In fact, the brakes feel similiar to my M5 - with a bit more sensitiviity...

The whining noise is called the Turbos and the drivetrain.... It is noticible on occasion if you don't like to listen to the stereo, talk to passengers, roll down all the windows and use listening devices. Sure you can hear something, but it is not annoying.

IMHO-The problem with many auto reviewers is that the spend little, REAL time in these cars. For ex, the iDrive complaints in the original 745, etc. Certainly, it was not the most intuitive device -but it worked fine - again, once you get used to it. It took an hour. Once you have cars with the iDrive (in my case a 2002 745i, 2006 750i, M5 and now the F01) - these driver interfaces have gotton not only better, faster, but more intuitive. But once the iDrive moved downstream to the 5 and especially the sometimes younger 3 series owners - the complaining went away. If you're jumping out of a Z06 Corvette then driving the F01 - sure there may be a feel of a lag in the Normal setting. Keep in mind this is a premium luxury car, not a sports car. Wind noise is also written about. It is no different than previous 7's or even my neighbors new S class. Comparing the rear seat size to a Camry is also strange. Keep the comparisons in the same class - or simply say the trunk is HUGE compared to the Honda Civic?

All in all - it is a fabulous car. The integration of all the power, technology, comfort, luxury in one package is unbelievable. BTW - I turned off the traction control and lit up the back wheels in the most unbelievable way. SMOKED the tires. Maybe they should write about potential pollution problems with the new 7.
Appreciate 0