View Single Post
      04-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Interesting but at the same time strange review:

1) He explains that in the past the 7 was 'too much of a performance related car' and appreciates that the new F01/F02 is now WAY more comfy... but then complains that the gas pedal isn't 'responsive' enough and he wishes they had the sport mode sensitivity in the comfort or normal mode ?!?

Well, what does he want?

A performance car or a luxury car?

Besides you can control these things as SpotM5 pointed out above! So if BMW would have put a 'more' responsive gas pedal into the comfort mode, everyone would complain that the car is 'too sporty and not comfy enough' as the passengers get whipped about and pressed into their seats

I did not notice much of a 'lag' in acceleration on the 750 when I was test driving the car. You can however definitely tell the difference between Sport+ mode and the rest of the suspension/chassis/drive train setup modes!

2) Again, I didn't hear drive train noise during my test drive (about 2 hours), although I did notice a bit of wind noise and road noise but mainly road noise as I was driving on a concrete highway and no matter what car you drive on that highway, you WILL get tire noise. Once I got of that highway and back onto normal roads, the tire noise was next to non existent.
The wind noise became more apparent above 160km/h (100mph) but again, is still very low and I would say equivalent to the S550 AMG or the A8 I took onto the same roads.

3) Why would he compare the 750 to cars like the Dodge Charger, Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?
Would he compare the S550 to the same cars in a S550 review?!?

4) Ok, I have to admit, I may be biased here because I ordered a 750, but I did my time in a S550 AMG, an A8 and a new 750 and after looking at all the little details and the way I felt in these cars and what each car did (or didn't do) for me, I made my decision to buy the 750.

The S550 AMG, although a nice car and descent acceleration, wasn't quite as quick as the 750. It does not come with rear seat entertainment option. I was afraid to use the buttons in the center console in the front as every time I touched them, they felt like they were about to break off (WAY to cheap for a car of this class) plus they look somewhat awkward. The seats were great and I liked the way the steering wheel felt although I didn't like the road feedback (since there was basically none as in comparison to the 750). Breaks were good and seemed consistent. Didn't like the command controller with it's absolutely ridiculous little cover on top. Besides, I find those tiny little buttons inside of that cover to be a danger to your safety. You are supposed to keep your eyes on the road and these things are supposed to help you with this task and NOT distract you (like looking down to figure out where what button is located). The exterior styling is still great looking even though it isn't a new car anymore.

The A8, again a very nice car, however the first thing I noticed when I got into the A8 is that the materials they used in the car did NOT feel like or looked like they belong into a $100k+ car. The S550 and 750 definitely felt more luxurious than the A8. The next thing I noticed is how many buttons are plastered all over the dashboard and center console on this car. The interior and exterior looked a little dated too. Acceleration was descent but again not as fast as either the 750 or the S550. I would most likely have gone with an S8 if I would have picked the Audi over the BMW.

Neither car (including the 750) is an absolute 'prefect' car, but you choose the car that you like best and has the least amount of compromises compared to your personal 'function/feature/option/comfort/power/handling/etc.' wish list.

I made my choice and concluded that the new 750 was the best fit for my needs and wants
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0