View Single Post
      05-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

I agree in part and disagree in part.

I agree that its becoming more and more difficult to escape exposure, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t do our best to minimize exposure. I’m not as concerned with low level exposure for long amounts of time as I am with high level exposure for intermediate periods of time.

As far as I know, iPods and PDAs give off next to nothing (though, not so for their chargers/adapters). On the other hand, Cellphones are more of a moderate concern – depending on many factors, including: call duration, signal frequency, battery level, distance from body/vital organs, etc., plus they give off next to nothing when not in use (no connected call/data transfer in progress). Yet, sitting in a car that it wired/shielded badly (definitely the case with hybrids because of the amount of EMF they give off) can be as bad as or even worse than standing in front of a microwave for 5 minutes (which is very bad).

In all, I certainly understand your perspective – I am not a freak about not using my cell phone – but I don’t want to be strapped to a ‘microwave’ for a 1 hour drive either.

Since you’re in the industry, it’s pretty amazing, California and Maine may become the first states to require manufactures have warning labels on cell phones, stating that they may pose a health hazard. Maine’s bill didn't garner enough votes recently, but the legislature is planning to retool it to be more specific; warning against pregnant women, children (skulls not yet formed enough to deflect emissions as well as adults), and the elderly from using same.

Anyway, I think I'm still on track for a 7er.

And, do you happen to know the the release date for the VZW iPhone!?!?

Last edited by dbs600; 05-10-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0