08-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #1492
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
That wasn't a knock on you or anyone that prefers said stronger spirits. I've tried my fair share. of those too. And I guess after going through countless glasses and bottles over the years, my palate (and stomach) prefers smooth over strength.
Trust me, a little water with one of these original cask-strength bottlings will be the best of both worlds (A'bunadh is one of the very best, IMHO, but there are many others starting to emerge as people catch on). If you don't water down the high-proof varieties they will stun your taste buds (this effect is universal, I think, across all spirits). Scotch also has a fairly unique 'activation' with water that really brings out more of the flavor - you are cheating yourself if you don't try them this way to see how you feel about it. Just a dash at first 'til you find the right amount - I don't usually dilute these back to 90 proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just saying that a stronger bottle, cut to 40% typically has a nicer flavor. In other words, you adding the water is nicer and typically cheaper than paying the distiller to do it.
And this is the bottom line - you are already drinking 'watered down' spirits, you just have the distillery adding the water, so you don't get to decide how much.
Appreciate 1
mperfct35.00