Garage List
Full Size Luxury Sedan Comparison by Motor Trend

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Full Size Luxury Sedan Comparison by Motor Trend
COMMENTS
Name:  luxurysedansMT.jpg
Views: 10812
Size:  67.5 KB

The guys over @ Motor Trend have put up this mega 11 page comparison between the large sedan offerings from all the usual suspects in the large luxury sedan game. But they didn't just make this a booring old comparison, they threw in all the non-traditional offerings that are available from automakers you wouldn't have expected 10, 5 or even 1 year ago.

Why all these large luxury sedans in this economic climate anyways? Despite the bad economy, almost every automaker has refreshed their luxo offerings and have pushed the bar foreward even more, blurring the lines between cars meant to be driven by yourself and those meant to be driven by a chauffeur. This isn't all that surprising-- before the big economic collapse, every automotive analyst and pundit declared the high end luxury market as the one which would see the biggest and most profound growth, and no doubt plans were laid for these cars in that climate. And so now, the competition has become fierce.

Motor Trend set out to compare these cars, head to head and see who is king amongst kings. First place, with the title RELUCTANT CONQUERER went to our favorite BMW 740i.

Here is a rundown on the cars which were compared and how they scored in the comparo:

1. BMW 740i
2. Porsche Panamera
3. Audi A8
4. Lexus LS 460
5. Jaguar XJL
6. Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid
7. Hyundai Equus

Here are some select quotes on what Motor Trend had to say about these cars:

BMW 740i
Quote:
Prestige, panache, and style? BMW may not outrank Mercedes-Benz or Porsche when valets compute the mental tip calculus that determines which car gets parked closest to the entrance, but the Roundel identifies its owner as someone who cares more about driving than arriving.
Porsche Panamera
Quote:
But it's in the handling department where the Panamera really distinguishes itself. "Forget a gun at a knife fight, Porsche's brought a bazooka to a bake sale," says Febbo. Not only is this the smallest and lightest car here, it's also the only one that makes no pretense of providing a plush ride.
Audi A8
Quote:
The interior design and materials won us all over, prompting this gush from Febbo: "I'm convinced I'm in a car from the future. The interior of this A8 is a mix of 'Tron,' Apple, and a luxury space yacht."
Jaguar XJL
Quote:
Right-brain thinkers may be excused for disregarding everything we write about the other six cars and simply rushing out and grabbing one of these, so strong is its emotional appeal -- or repulsion.
Hyundai Equus
Quote:
But even ETs will admit the design, inside and out, is derivative and bland, and while the quality of the leather and wood trim will wow folks moving up from a Genesis (or TL or G37), the S-Class/7 Series buyer will sniff cost savings. There's no innovation here, as associate road test editor Carlos Lago wrote: "Hyundai has painted by numbers, while the rest have attempted making art."
Make sure to follow the jump to read the article in full on Motortrend.com

[Source: Motor Trend Magazine]