View Single Post
      01-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Agree with comments about M6 not being competitive and political nature of the BoP in IMSA. Not sure how long BMW is going to be content with press releases patting themselves on the back for showing up, and talking about the fact that they ran an "art" car, didn't have the pace of the other cars, blah, blah, blah. Not sure where the art was/is.

Went to Lime Rock and Watkins Glen last year, and frankly the M6 GTLM is borderline ugly (the street M6 is a beautiful car, the racing version looks all wrong in my opinion), and doesn't sound good either. It's a BIG car in person.

The Z4 GTLM didn't win that much (well it did win more than the M6), but I think it captured more attention with radically good racing car looks, and just the fantastic sound of the s65 (especially in person). Just don't know what BMW was thinking in choosing to race a beautiful cruising car like the M6.

My suggestions:
1. Run 3 cars for the 6, 12 and 24 hour races like Ford is doing with the GT, more likely to have a finishing car. I'm sure BMW can afford it for the North American market.
2. Replace the M6 with an M3 or M4. or maybe the M2. Smaller cross section, and Ford and Porsche are running 6 cylinders, why can't BMW?
3. Leverage the sponsorship money they are putting into IMSA with some politics in terms of M6 aero, boost, fuel capacity, SOMETHING to go a little faster before this season is over.
Appreciate 1