01-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #21
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The 2-series is racing in the CTSC series, so we won't see it in WTSC, and there's zero chance we'll see it in GTE/GTLM. That's reserved for a brand's top marquee vehicles. No way BMW is fielding an entry-level car in that class.

The M6's biggest design issue is its bulky appearance. When you walk the grid and look at a car like the C7.R, the fenders flare out wildly, much like the Z4 GTLM. The M6 just kind of looks like a refrigerator box on wheels. The aero at the front is broken up mostly by large black panels. and the sides are very slab-like, with a consistent sill-height all the way down the waistline.

IMO, the M6 GT3/GTLM was an attempt to revitalize the iconography of the 3.5 CSL's Gr.5 glory days. You can see the design language in the way the front fenders are boxed out at the rear. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out all that well for BMW, but I still think it's hard to blame the car.

It is naive to believe that the base road car has much to do with competitiveness of a GT3 or GTLM car. The cars are developed from the ground up to meet a performance envelope. From there, it's 100% about the BoP ebb and flow.

If BMW RLL are making any mistakes, it is that they are not playing enough games. They're showing up and running hard like they're supposed to, and IMSA certainly hasn't rewarded them for it. Chip Ganassi's teams were unquestionably sand-bagging leading up to Le Mans, and IMSA has done very little to slow them down. Every time they do something, CGR pulls another rabbit out of their hat and find more pace. Gee, I wonder what the deal is there?

I talked to Steve Dickson (BMW RLL General manager) for a while at the BMW tent, and the frustration is palpable. He was very gracious, and obviously loves motorsport, but the jilted feelings are starting to leak through in any conversation you have with BMW RLL team members. In between jokes about how crashy the Porsche Motorsport drivers were last year, there was a lot of "I get it, but com'on" feeling about the way IMSA is balancing the GTLM class. With Ford's return, the GTLM field got a much needed injection of diversity, but BMW RLL still would like an opportunity to be competitive, and I get the sense they don't feel like they are being given that shot.
Good info. Agree.

Been going to Rolex, IMSA, etc. races with my family for 20 plus years, BMW was always very competitive with the various M3's , LMR, Z4. This is sad to watch.

You would think team RLL would not be so naive at this point (in terms of knowing how to sandbag). Obviously too late for this season, but if what you are saying is true (sandbagging, politics, etc.) maybe BMW should also field another true factory team (like Corvette). Maybe it's not just the car. As they say in sports.....if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.
Appreciate 1