View Single Post
      11-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Because your avatar says "Amsterdam" and the flag displayed is Holland's. Also note that I said you "live" there, not that you "work" there (though that's typically assumed).

Just sayin'.

Oh boy HOWdy are you right about that. Though: motorcycles are available now with gyroscopes that keep them from tipping over when parked, and BMW claims its most recent BMW Motorrad concept doesn't even require a rider to wear a helmet. I'm skeptical as hell about the latter (I'm sorry, but no open motorcycle can keep a bee from bruising your forehead, putting your eye out, or diving kamikaze-style into your throat at 60 mph), but seriously: were either of those things even conceivable 10 years ago on a bike?
I recently had that very thing happen to me. I didn't have my riding leather zipped all the way up at my neck. Something smacked me near my collar bone and I felt this immediate excruciating stinging pain that wouldn't go away. When I got to my destination and took off my leathers, a bee fell out. Stung the heck out of me.

As far as technology and motorcycles, it's amazing what's possible today. Running an S1000RR on the track has simply been amazing with the clutchless up/downshifts, ABS, traction control, and computer controlled suspension damping. But with all of these advances, it still requires a lot of rider input which still makes motorcycle riding extremely engaging. More than with driving the most sought after super car.

I don't see how anyone that rides even casually will allow motorcycle riding to be autonomous without putting up a serious fight. If autonomous motorcycles are delayed in rolling out, how will manually driven motorcycles be accommodated with the autonomous vehicle infrastructure?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00