View Single Post
      11-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
What's missing is the true environmental impact of EV's. Three issues that are completely overlooked: environmental damage from lithium and cobalt extraction/production (everyone just talks about disposal); other environmental impacts such as increased acid rain; and, the substantial increase in carbon emissions from all the coal necessary to fuel the charging network for EV's.

I've seen several other references to the same issue. Until credible research organizations (like MIT or any of the other Top 35 Universities) actually give a thorough assessment of the entire environmental picture associated with EV's, as a society we're insane to be blindly pursuing the dream of Hamlin’s Wizard Oil Company as presented by Elon Musk.
While there isn't so much info about electric cars and their impacts, I'm pretty sure it is much better than ICE. And remember for ICE you need to factor in the cost of all points from A to B, from oil extraction to environmental disasters, pipeline leaks, pollution, air and so on...

If electric car impact was so bad, you can bet oil companies would already be advertising, as their business have huge $$$ on the line.

And as for credible research, most "independent" research is very hard to come by as it will only go as far as their sponsors allow it.
Appreciate 0