View Single Post
      02-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Very interesting and agree with our busy roads could be dangerous. As much as they advertise that speed can kill, you can get in a situation on occasions where speed can save lives.

As an example driving at night only maybe a month ago came along a car doing 50mph in a 60mph, road looked clear so I just pulled out to overtake at a nice leisurely 60mph. However roughly when level pegging the car I was overtaking noticed a faint light. Turned out to be a car with just a single working side light on, no headlights in the dead of night and not all that far away either. The only thing that stopped me hitting that car was punching it in an M5 and nipping back in extremely quickly. I think if I didn't have a car with the kind of performance of the M5 I'd have not had a chance of avoiding him. Unbelievable risk people put driving a car with so many faulty lights at night but in that occasion, breaking the speed limit saved an accident.

Did the car warn you before overtaking that it was limiting you like when you turned it on or not long after? That would be more acceptable than letting you know just when you needed it.

Guess need to watch the tire pressures on my new one a bit more carefully then, pretty sure I've been down a bit more than your saying and not had a limit on the M5. So probably something they've added to newer cars.

You'd hope kick down would override it as the car understands then it's maybe an emergency you go faster.

Oh and I imagine Billy van driver was down the pub laughing with his mates how he out ran your 7 series in his van I think you do need a 760 after all
Appreciate 0