c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Count me as the fifth endorser on this thread of the Suzuki SV650. It was my second bike back in 1999 -- first was a used Ninja 500 that I pretty much hated because it was uncomfortable, underpowered, and difficult to upgrade. The SV, with the right mods (or even without, really), was the antithesis of all three of those things.

The positives to the SV are many ... but the biggest one is the type of engine it uses: a V-twin with a relatively square bore-stroke ratio. Basically, for its size it's got torque for days, which means it will accelerate harder at lower RPMs compared with the garden-variety straight transverse fours used in many other mid-sized sportbikes. With those, you have to rev the snot out of them because their compression ratios are relatively high and their strokes are very short -- which means high horsepower, low torque. It makes them slightly more controllable at lower speeds, but they run out of steam at those lower speeds quickly.

If I had to recommend a second option, it'd be the Triumph Street Triple. It's a compromise -- a 675cc straight three -- but significantly more expensive. Great bikes, though. The Duc Scrambler is a good suggestion as well, but it's not for everyone.

OP, I would steer completely clear of any Gixxer as a first bike unless you know you have the skills to handle what is essentially a racing bike on public streets. And don't even think about a 250cc bike. You will outgrow it in about two weeks.
I like the Scrambler if you're mainly doing urban riding. It seems a little bouncy. I think another good suggestion is a Monster 696 or 796. You just have to make sure the valve check was done if it's over 7500 miles and if it isn't 7500 miles yet, be prepared to pay the money to get it done. Realistically though, I don't know anyone who actually needed anything done other than a check. So I think it's a bit of a BS PM check.
Appreciate 0