View Single Post
      02-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #82
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
The i3 is basically a occupant cell sitting on a aluminum subframe. I imagine BMW will use this or some very similar technique when it all trickles down the BMW brand line.
That makes sense, I am sure aluminum subframes will be used for the forseeable future. Still, going back to the original point you made about crumple zones, looking at how the car is constructed, it still appears to me that there is potential for the body shell as a whole to sustain fairly major damage even with the occupancy cell remaining largely in tact.

Quote:
A ski construction i'm not sure about but a ski pole usually has a different type of construction. It's usually not a woven fabric but a continuous fiber strand or group of fiber strands wrapped around like you see on a spool of thread. If you look at some of them closely you will see this, as well as the pattern made by the varying strand orientations. Same for a lot of race car suspension arms and links. Brake disc are and entirely different construction as well, I don't think they are repairable or should be.
Thanks for clearling that up. It is actually pretty interesting - the different techniques used for different types of parts. In the end, it is clear they will be pragmatic about it and design the car to be repairable where it makes sense while certain parts will just need to be replaced when damaged. Not too much different than today, though I am still far from convinced the transition to carbon fiber cars will be without its share of new challenges and resulting hiccups. I guess we'll see over the next decade or so.
Appreciate 0