View Single Post
      10-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
alex_750li
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

My first week in an F02 BMW 750Li

Hi guys. After several attempts at registering I finally got through the SPAM filters…

I just got me a Sapphire Black ’09 750Li with Black / Oyster interior and black roof-liner, riding on OEM 20” wheels with run-flats.

The more sensible “me” would have gone for a “poverty spec” 730d and saved a fortune. This time round I decided that I didn’t want to think that every other 7 on the road was possibly somehow better than mine so I went all out and ticked every box…I can now talk about the options I didn’t get:

- Rear cooler – not available on this market.
- Ski bag – not available on this market.
- Speed Limit Assist – not available on this market.
- Heated steering wheel – provided by Mother Nature.
- Supplementary Heating – provided by Mother Nature.
- Ceramic Knobs – I really wanted the silver ones.
- Tow bar – not cool.

Impressions so far:
  • Very quiet and smooth floating ride (comfort mode), gorgeous instrumentation, beautiful orange glow in the dark – big grin all the way home. Unbelievable acceleration when prodding the accelerator.
  • Head Up Display: works as advertised, very helpful, and provides lots of extra info. The Navigation pointers change direction when you turn – very cool. I had a little difficulty seeing the HUD during the day while wearing polarized sunglasses; however I find that if I turn my head slightly at an angle I can read it (my passengers probably think I have neck strain).
  • Radar Cruise Control – sensational! This thing actually drives right up to the car in front and stops. I had my foot covering the brake the whole time, I didn’t believe it would work but it did. It made me laugh out loud. It is so good that it gives you confidence to play with the controls a little more while driving – not recommended.
  • Lane departure: works as advertised but I don’t have the habit of signaling when nobody is around. I plan to use this feature when I’m feeling sleepy…
  • Blind Spot Detection: works as advertised and has been helpful at least once. Sometimes it scares me into thinking another car is there but it was buzzing about another car further behind. Needs a little getting used to.
  • Forward Alert: so far this only came on once, when it did I had already slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the jerk in front of me. I think it will be more useful at higher speeds with greater distances between the cars.
  • Four-wheel-steering: when negotiating a U-turn it’s amazing – my 750 is about 5 inches longer than my other car – an FJ Cruiser – but this one turns a lot tighter. I didn’t really notice the difference at high speed.
  • Dynamic Drive: I love it – keeps the car really level at speed and I love cornering fast.
  • Auto-hold: works as advertised and really takes the stress out of stop-go traffic.
  • The Rear: my passengers loved the extra AC in the roof, the twin DVD players, the remote for the front seat, the infrared headphones, the massage seats, the electric sun-shades and the acres of leg room. They didn’t like the violent acceleration (hehe).

I also loved the side cameras, the smog detector / auto-recirculation feature on the AC, the speech activated menus and phone, the 3D perspective navigation – those cute little buildings rendered in 3D are a nice touch, and the way the seat squeezes you in at the waist and seat belt when you first get in. I haven’t had a chance to use the night vision and high beam assist as I’ve only driven in well illuminated areas.

So far I have some issues with the car:
  • Throttle response: nothing seems to happen for 1-2 seconds when you press the accelerator – especially from low speeds. It is very hard to drive the car smoothly when negotiating road humps for example. I am hoping BMW will be able to fix this for me.
  • BMW Online Services: no internet browser – strange considering the both RSS news feeds and e-mail are working. They told me it’s something to do with the telecoms infrastructure here – still strange since it works just fine on my phone…oh well.
  • Suspension Noise: again those dreaded road humps – it feels like the front suspension isn’t lubricated properly.

Well that’s all I can think of for now...I think after a week with this car my ego has swollen to the size of a small M-class planet.

Cheers!

Alex
Attached Images

Appreciate 0