View Single Post
      02-21-2024, 05:55 PM   #15
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This is such an interesting video and the guy's pretty impressive, one of those ultimate gearheads. I personally never got the mystique of the 911 because the engine's in the wrong area haha but it keeps bewilderingly winning, e.g. wasn't it EVO's COTY just recently? I don't get it, are all the other manufacturers just that bad even though they have the engine placement advantage or is Porsche just that good in out-engineering everyone?

Anyway, here you go:
So, the 911 has been an evolution over decades, (hence the "mystique") good engineering and marketing only makes good sense that if they can share parts they do. I could write a great deal about where his argument is excellent but misses the point.

The 911 continues to improve and crush the competition, it is the benchmark for a great many auto enthusiasts, I am lucky enough to own a 993. I love the thing, I also lust after 356's and 911 Turbo S, 911T, 911GT3 etc. I can see the utility of a 918, they are a great car and if I was going for a track car to beat around I might go for one for the economic reasons but 911 is the one that has the mystique. Hence the marketing and the price point. The market decides what they are worth.
Appreciate 0