xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
We spoke at length to one of the highly rated local installers today. He hates stealth hitches because of the wiring harness and the work involved in getting everything to work plus the reprogramming involved which can be tricky. He basically won't install stealth with their 'active' wiring harness, says he just loses a ton of money because of the time involved. He loves their hitches and would install them with a standard wiring harness, either third party or the stealth 'passive' harness which sounds the same. If you go this route you don't get the ability to zoom the car's camera to assist in hooking up the trailer, and when you back up you will hear beeping sounds...but you also save $450 plus possibly some install costs.

So I have a few choices left...get a 'regular' hitch like a Curt that costs about $800 installed, get a Stealth with 'passive' wiring for about $500 more, or risk getting the 'active' wiring for another $450. I'm sort of leaning towards getting a stealth but living with the passive wiring. I like the clean look of the stealth. I will be talking to a couple other installers to see if their sky high install quotes come down if they don't have to mess around with the wiring much. Thanks for all the tips, this is quite a learning experience.
Since you're in the SF Bay area, reach out to Fremont European. They didn't have any hesitation with the install and seems they've done quite a few. I'm having them do the physical work then calling Stealth and having them remote in and do the coding. Total labor is $750 which is steep for sure, but I have a lot of confidence in them.

Full disclosure though, I haven't had them do the work yet as my car has been at the dealership in service for some time now... But I have ordered the hitch and it's due to arrive on Thursday. When I get my car back? Nobody really knows.
Appreciate 0