02-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #50
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd28 View Post
Alright gang, really interested to hear your thoughts on this one. My fiancé and I both lease our BMW's, my M3 and her X1. Collectively, I've realized that we drive about 50K miles per year, me 20K and her 30K. As luck would have it, she switched jobs and decided to join me in sales about three months after getting her car. Plus, we take her car on road trips to SoCal and what not so her car is getting hammered. At this rate she will hit her full 3-year mileage allotment in another 6-7 months, roughly halfway through term.

So I've decided the best way to address this issue is by getting a third car that we can put 20K miles a year on. She will drive it about 75% of the time and I will drive it 25% of the time. In a perfect world I'd like to get a larger (than her X1, that is) SUV with all wheel drive that we can drive up to the snow in. This is something we just got into doing this winter but I can see it becoming a more regular thing in the future.

The budget here would be less than $15K ideally. I originally wanted to just pay cash and avoid another car payment but I've realized that I won't be able to find a new enough car/SUV, with low enough mileage, that I like enough, that's in the price range of what I'm willing to put down in cash.

This car is going to get driven a fair amount so it can't be some old beater. At the top of my wish list is a Grand Cherokee, but my Lord do they hold their value. Tough finding a 2011+ with a reasonable amount of mileage for less than $20K. Others on the list include a Touareg, Golf/GTI, Mini Cooper Countryman S, and I've even found a couple of GLK350's for sale that are in range.

All things considered, including reliability and maintenance, price, ROI, drivability and enjoyment, what are everyone's thoughts? Other suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd28 View Post
Phenomenal idea here! Used to have a 2003, actually. The fun factor is second to none.

Now, please join me as I digress back to reality...

This wasn't originally what I had in mind, but what about just leasing another car? Jeep and Subaru both happen to have pretty decent specials this month.

2017 Forester Limited/Touring
15,000 miles/year
Sticker of roughly $32k-$34K (depending on model)
Sign & Drive = $0 due at signing
$300-$350 per month

2017 Grand Cherokee Lorado 4x2
15,000 miles/year
Sticker of roughly $36K, discounted to $31K (advertised)
$3,000 due at signing
$341 per month

I haven't gone to see either yet, but on paper the Forester probably makes more sense. I am partial to the styling of the GC however.

Okay, boys, shit's about to get real now. Go!
Seems like the leases don't meet the criteria and assuming they are 3 years leases, best case you are paying $300 a month plus insurance and registration on another car and assuming this ends up costing close to $5000 per year? Then when the current vehicles are turned in you will then again go over the mileage on the 2017? Seems like an endless cycle of getting cars with limitations that don't meet your lifestyle.

Will paying $5k a year on the Subaru really save you $5k a year on going over the mileage on the lease? Then you lease/buy a lower level car to save money on the more expensive car you would prefer to drive (which is why you got them)?

I think it is unlikely that getting another new, leased car is going to help the situation as it comes with high depreciation because it is new and you want to put 20k miles a year on it.

Have you considered all of the costs for getting another car and compared it to the case of keeping both of your cars or getting rid of one of them now?

If finances don't matter get what you want but if your goal is to save money while driving a ton of miles I would stay away from the MB, BMW, and the Porsche's mentioned.

Last edited by David70; 02-17-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0