Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I just can't get enthused for other cars over the e46 M3-- especially with some choice mods. Every time I drive something else, I get annoyed I'm not in my M3.

Agreed the exhaust is crappy sounding-- I have derasped (chainsaw sound) and made it quieter than stock to address that.

But, the CSL intake sound is better sound than any other car makes. And, now, that's all I hear

I'll be lighter than a non AC/stereo CSL before the summer is up (with full interior and AC and stereo) and 60 HP more than the CSL to boot (still NA). Every time I drive any car that isn't my M3, I get annoyed I'm not driving my M3.

The e46's weak points are far overblown. With an afternoon of work and a couple hundred dollars in parts you can address all the weak points, permenantly. I've done it many, many times (for lots of people's cars, not on the same car repeatedly-- the fixes are permanent). I think people are dramatic about them because they choose to stick their head in the sand until something fails, and then be outraged that it's expensive. I'm 140,000 miles into ownership of my e46m, including ~10,000 track miles and 10 winters, and it has been the most reliable car I've owned (though it's now retired from winter driving duty).

The e46m is a wonderful, wonderful car. It has one of BMW's best exteriors, best interiors, and best engines. It's super easy to work on. Everything not related to driving is automated, everything related to driving isn't automated, making it a wonderful intersection of retro and modern technology. Aftermarket support is awesome, new discoveries are coming out every day, and there's DIYs for everything. It's not too big on the outside, yet the back seat is still useable. You can fit four 285 wide tires in the back seat and have the full trunk available for tools, tents, chairs, etc. It's gorgeous, yet doesn't look over stylized. It's the pinnacle of classic BWM values.

I will never sell mine. In 50 years I'll be the crochity old man original owner at the car show talking about how good cars were back when they were propelled by combustion and driven by people.

I really only have two complaints about the car:
1) stock exhaust sound (easy fix)
2) quad exhaust over a spare tire is dumb dumb DUMB. Which I also suffer with in my DD e39 M5 (sucks compared to the e46m). And my wife's e91, though it doesn't even get a quad exhaust out of the deal (also sucks compared to the e46m).

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0