Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
Any Reviews since then?

Any new office features come with this (I work from home occasionally and always wonder what the i7 can manage over the i5 mobile I have at work does).

Any issues with games currently?
Actually, I narrowed down the WLAN issue; I specifically disabled the latest update to the WLAN driver in Win8.1, but it made its way onto the next WinUpdate, and that's all taking apart my computer for nothing (I also had issues with the cam/mic but it's a matter of needing a new ribbon or even a new computer). Other than a UI refresh and the apps being regular windows that can be resized instead of a full-sized window in 8.1 or even full screen in 8, there's nothing really too new in day-to-day usage. I wish I can say I had an i7 to test out; my laptop's i5 is the most powerful computer I have access to so far, and the i7 computer for graphics design at work runs like crap.

As far as gaming, I haven't had a chance to fully check out all the games I have yet. Lately I've been very busy with looking for work, and now working; but so far SC:Blacklist works the same with no significant issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I too moved from AVG because of nagging issues and no 64bit client. I then used Avast! for a long time but for the last year or two, I've moved to MSE. MSE has made major improvements. You may want to look at it again if you're still basing your opinion on their old reputation, which was crap.
Even though the differences are subtle, MSE still lags behind most free AVs, which even right now, I got hired at a furniture wholesaler... The guy calls himself a SW Engineer, yet here's what I saw: Most computers are in pathetic condition... 2 out of 10 computers have NO AV at all, one has let the OEM Norton expire, and another only had MSE, and all of the computers in question had viruses and spyware. So, I pointed it out, and he installs MSE and scans it overnight. It gets rid of some, but not all; still some errors and popups here and there. So, I offer to take over and load up Avira, and it manages to find 200+ viruses on EACH computer (although most of them were tracking cookies in other user's %temp% folders, and the browsers had no popups/excess ads anymore.

The best of the best AVs are paid and not easily "bypassed", so that'll have to wait until my finances are a bit better... Otherwise I'd get a paid subscription for Hitman or BitDefender, which BitDefender has ranked among the top for many years through many reviews (though G Data is a combination of BitDefender and in-house technology I haven't checked them out yet), and Hitman goes DEEP as a 2nd-opinion scanner since it scans with a culmination of 6 different AVs/detectors. Of course, I'd use BitDefender free, but it doesn't allow you to exclude files, and since I deal with people in China and QQ is a must (it registers a false positive since Tencent, its parent company used to make spyware that is almost impossible to remove but that is ancient news from the early 2000s... Plus people from China are glued to QQ like crack even when Skype is a bit more universal and efficient).

http://dottech.org/14151/windows-bes...-avast-vs-avg/
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 03-07-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0