BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast (750Li) View Post
I did not know they'll refund it. Unusual for insurance, if you didn't need it, they pay it back. I have however replaced 4 tires through the policy and am happy I had it.
Yep, its pro-rated, so If you wait a year, you don't get as much back. But yes, you can get a refund (minus months covered) for it. There is a procedure on the back of the contract (go online and request, takes about 2 weeks).
You forgot one little ditty in the refund algorithm: You also need to deduct 100% of any claims paid.

Insurance works from a concept of earned vs unearned premium.

Let say you pay $1200 for a one year policy. The insurance company cannot claim that as revenue until each month passes.

So, in essence you're fronting the insurance company $1200 for the year and it pretty much goes into escrow as unearned premium.

Now, as each month passes, the insurance company will consider $100 earned. So, regardless of claims, the insurance company can only put the earned months on the books.

So, if you cancel your policy 6 months into a annual premium, then the first 6 months are earned and the remaining months are unearned.

Now, they will give you back the unearned premium should you cancel, but BMW insurance wants to deduct 100% of claims paid.

So, returning unearned premium is never a problem for the insurance company since they don't count it anyway as it sits in a virtual escrow.
Appreciate 0