Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
You might find it's on your current 6 series as well. It used to be a separate button but when they removed that they didn't remove the feature. I can switch it on in my M5 by pressing the fan speed up button on the drivers side when the car is off.

It's in the new 7 series but same as M5 there's no dedicated button. Think it switches on if you push pretty much any button on the heating controls on the newer 7 though when switched off.
I've looked in my manual and I'm not sure it is clear to be honest, I'll have to try it out and get back to you.

On one hand, the manual does talk about residual heating using the remaining engine warmth or warmth from the fuel in the vehicle to heat as FastLaneJB says, however, on the other hand it does allow A/C to turn on and also does mention that you should not do it in a garage and that the floor underneath the car will heat up so no loose flammable items there or they may catch fire...

So, it is described as independent ventilation / auxiiary heating in the manual and you can set it for a timer or for instant (while outside the car with the display key) or while in the car with some buttons.

I'll let you know whether it turns the engine on or not and how it works once i give it a go...always known about it but never used it!
Appreciate 0