Thread: BMW M Retention
View Single Post
      12-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sure, but those are not necessarily an either/or proposition. And, while I do think comparing those two approaches makes for a reasonable topic of discussion, I don't think your opening post succeeds at sending the message that that is what you intended to discuss.

To me you're conflating two concepts. A person could still very much believe that M produces the best offerings in their target segments, while at the same time they may decide that they would rather own a daily driver that excels at other things (comfort, AWD, cargo space, perhaps) and also have a dedicated sports car for track or weekend duty.

The reason why this is possible is that, if a person approaches the exercise by measuring M against their actual marketplace competitors - that is, those who actually sell cars in the same segments that M does - they may very well put M on top. Many magazine comparisons do just that, for example. They could then, nevertheless, decide that they are ready to pursue vehicles in other segments that M does not cover, still very much being able to acknowledge that M products are great for those who choose not to go that route.

In other words, answering "yes", "no", "maybe" in the poll does note necessarily reveal how the respondent feels about your two points below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
The point of the thread though is to see if people think:

1) Is M still the king of their niche (jack of all trades type of performance cars) in the future

or

2) People buy more focused cars to replace their M in the future. Basically, replacing their M car with 2, more focused cars, i.e. better daily driver and better sports car
Appreciate 0