12-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #43
Iceman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT / 330Ci / S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post

The point of the thread though is to see if people think:

1) Is M still the king of their niche (jack of all trades type of performance cars) in the future

or

2) People buy more focused cars to replace their M in the future. Basically, replacing their M car with 2, more focused cars, i.e. better daily driver and better sports car
For me, it comes down to the availability of a 6MT in the next gen.

I'm actually in the opposite .. I have what I consider focused cars.. a daily driver in my E46 330Ci and a weekend / track car in a Honda S2000... I've had both for over 10 years.. My track events are HPDE's for fun.. I don't race a car for trophy's or money... I'm tired of maintaining 2 cars.. but now would rather have 1 car that can merge the best of both of my worlds....

Im buying a 2018 M3...

My understanding of the BMW M3, since the E36 gen, has been that they were a compromise car that can deliver the best of many worlds, while still exceeding what the real competition offered...

Better sports cars in existence well before M3 was ever created in the 911... also better luxury cars from BMW and Mercedes for well over a decade before the M3 was created .. the "sport sedan" is what BMW created... the benchmark of "Grand Touring" is what it became... it is by definition a compromise car..

M X-drive letting you hang out the the tail... hybrid... none of it really matters to me as much as the the ability to have MT... a good MT, (not some piece of crap MT for the sake of just offering it).. that's what makes this a factor for me..

When I look at the future of M cars, it comes back to THIS... if they continue to offer a GOOD MT and stay competitive with its real competitors, like the QV, ATS-V, C63S, RS4/5, etc., I will continue to consider the M3 the best of the best...

If they don't, all bets are off...

Last edited by Iceman1; 12-11-2017 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0