01-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Yeah Im also trying to get my stamina up. When i said i havent done much cardio in awhile, i meant it. I was dying in the warmups the other day, and it was also probably the most ive ran combined in a few years.

Ive been doing sprints at least once per week, if not twice depending on the weather. Hard to run sprints when theres snow everywhere. I can at least run distances on the treadmill.
I am a runner so I understand this part better than the rest (5k's, 10k's, half and full marathons, and over 25 years).

If you want to build stamina, forget the 1-2 mile runs every day. Do it every other day and stay on the treadmill or outside for 30 minutes. If this means jogging slowly or run/walking (run 2 minutes/walk 1 or some other interval but the same throughout the whole 30 minutes) you will build endurance far more than running for 8-16 minutes every day (and total exercise time will be less than doing it everyday). This will also work better than the 30-60 minutes on a stationary bike.

If or when you can jog 30 minutes straight then you can do this 2 days a week and then do some type of interval training starting at 1 day a week.

Also, if talking about interval training you can do it in any weather or on the treadmill. Find a street with virtually no traffic, two blocks long, run in the street. Sprint a block, jog a block, turn around and do it again. Do this for 20 minutes. Or on the treadmill run 6 minute mile for 2 minutes, jog for 1, or whatever is hard but doesn't kill you and that you can do a number of repeats. Depending on your current fitness level you may need to wait until you can job for 30 minutes straight.

I am in a running group and my wife and the group ran on Sat., it was 3F out and had snowed, they ran 5 miles. I went to the gym and ran 6, just didn't want to deal with it. I think she called me something as she got up at 7 on Sat. and I was still asleep.

Last edited by David70; 01-10-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0