View Single Post
      01-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am a runner so I understand this part better than the rest (5k's, 10k's, half and full marathons, and over 25 years).

If you want to build stamina, forget the 1-2 mile runs every day. Do it every other day and stay on the treadmill or outside for 30 minutes. If this means jogging slowly or run/walking (run 2 minutes/walk 1 or some other interval but the same throughout the whole 30 minutes) you will build endurance far more than running for 8-16 minutes every day (and total exercise time will be less than doing it everyday). This will also work better than the 30-60 minutes on a stationary bike.

If or when you can jog 30 minutes straight then you can do this 2 days a week and then do some type of interval training starting at 1 day a week.

Also, if talking about interval training you can do it in any weather or on the treadmill. Find a street with virtually no traffic, two blocks long, run in the street. Sprint a block, jog a block, turn around and do it again. Do this for 20 minutes. Or on the treadmill run 6 minute mile for 2 minutes, jog for 1, or whatever is hard but doesn't kill you and that you can do a number of repeats. Depending on your current fitness level you may need to wait until you can job for 30 minutes straight.

I am in a running group and my wife and the group ran on Sat., it was 3F out and had snowed, they ran 5 miles. I went to the gym and ran 6, just didn't want to deal with it. I think she called me something as she got up at 7 on Sat. and I was still asleep.
Ive been doing some low intensity cardio every day (30minutes - hour on the treadmill or stationary bike). Been trying to get interval training going but my treadmill is crap and trips out if I get going too fast. Im going to try a new gym and see if they have an indoor track. When it snows, the sidewalks/roads are snow covered for days so it hinders any outdoors running. When its nice on the weekends, I do 40yd sprints with a backwards jog in between at the park by my house. Started with 5, working my way up. Also do agility drills (3 cone, shuttle, etc.) just to work on that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714_1er View Post
-high intensity interval training
-body weight exercises that incorporate multiple muscle groups
-strengthen your hip flexors
High intensity interval training has worked best to build my "explosiveness"

Try doing the elliptical for cardio 45-60 minutes, try not to use your hands to balance.

I'm 5'9 205-208lbs (used to weight 330)
With my body type i need to do cardio everyday.
Went from not being able to do the elliptical for more than 5 minutes to being able to keep a sustained heart rate of 160-175 for 65 minutes.
Thats a legit transformation. Congrats. Ill have to bust out my elliptical and see what I can do. Havent used it since we got it about a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If you google players that play your position, you should be able to find their workouts - though secret things that give them the edge...
One thing just about all the players do is sports massage - seriously a big factor.
Yeah thats how I found some workouts, but most those guys have been at that high level of athleticism for awhile. One day of their training would kill me for a week.

Ive done sports massages in the past, ill have to call up my former masseuse. Unfortunately she doesnt do happy endings though.
Appreciate 0