01-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Yep, started doing agility drills a few weeks ago. Its definitely helping. Just destroys my knee if i take them too fast. need to get that strengthened up. In regards to training by time. the 1-2 miles was as long as i could go at a high level, so thats why i went by distance. I still ride a stationary bike, elliptical or slow jog on a treadmill for 30-60 minutes/day.

I trained with an ex pro ball player for a year or so about 15 years ago. I'd never ran a 40 before training with him. At the start of training i ran a 5.9, after a year i was down to 5.1 and we only trained 1 hour a week doing mostly speed and agility. Two other days of the week i would be at the gym lifting moderate weight and doing 20 min on an elliptical. I've got a dogey knee as well. Doing the speed and agility drills really strengthened those intrinsic muscles that are hard to hit at the gym which made my knees much more stable allowing me to cut harder and faster.

With the trainer we would never do more than 10 minutes of sustained running. But it would always involve some type of cone drill during those 10 min. He set up a large square 50x50 yards. Then make an X in the middle with some cone drills. We'd basically make angular figure 8s in alternating directions. On some of the outer sections we'd sprint, jog or even walk but the sections making the X were always done at the same pace and involved some sort of footwork drill in the middle. We'd start the hour with 10 min warm up and end the day with a body weight only lunge/squat circuit. Best all around shape i've ever been in.
kprocivic812.50