View Single Post
      03-28-2024, 01:09 AM   #1
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep
Drives: 09 M5 95 M3 85 M635CSi...

Question Will automatic doors prevent dinging other cars?

This may sound crazy but I'm thinking of buying my wife an i7 with automatic doors to save my M5 from door dings. Will the automatic doors stop themselves from dinging a car parked close to them?

Background: Our garage is narrow (yes I'm also looking at a new house), my wife has a Tesla Model S and she always parks in near the middle of the garage despite my attempts to encourage her to park on her side. She and the kids are really careless with opening the back doors. They whacked my M5 on the character line right by the door handle so the paintless dent guy could not completely remove it. I could still see it and it drove me crazy. I have PTSD about it. I have other older BMWs in storage but I never want to bring them home for fear of the same fate.

We had a Model X loaner which was a total POS but the automatic falcon doors would not open themselves into my M5. I really don't want to buy her a Model X. Yes, they are fast but the build quality sucks, we've had so many Tesla service problems. She wants an EQS but they don't have auto doors. If the i7 doors can prevent dings that seems like a better alternative.

Does anyone with an i7 know if the auto doors can prevent careless people from dinging your car?
Appreciate 0