12-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE! FAR quieter, FAR smoother; immediately noticeable.

Known road imperfections and minor manholes now unnoticeable. Also hit a minor pothole, which the car absorbed the way a full-sized luxury sedan should. I've driven in Comfort since new, which almost seems too soft now.

That said, not sure if it's the tires or because I returned a loaded 435i M Sport loaner [that I drove in Sport], but steering now seems a bit less precise. Not numb, not spongy, but less precise. Not wandering, but not sure how else to describe. Could this be because the tires aren't broken in yet? Can anyone confirm if this improves in a couple hundred miles?

In sum, happy for now!

Two more points:

Run flats are almost double the weight of conventional tires(!); upon new tire drop off, recouped one undamaged run flat, and the weight was surprising!

AND, saw a 435i Individual in the showroom and thought the leather weave on the doors was awesome; very Bottega Veneta!
Good stuff.

I have changed the tyres on my last 3 bmw's to non run flats and I will do so when the tyres on my (new to me 730d) have finished their serviceable life. All that you have described is how I've felt when changing them. The car seems to have a little more sideways movement when cornering, almost as if the tyre wall has a bit of play in it because of the reduced rigidity.

It makes complete sense on a 7 series to do this but on a 3/4 series unless you have low profile tyres I've found that the fun of driving this type of car is taken away a bit due to the rolling described above.
Appreciate 0