View Single Post
      07-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #115
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Forgot to post about this yesterday:

Man I am SOOOOOOOO glad I enabled the pre-collision warning system!!!!

I enabled it about 2 weeks ago and set it for early detection. It helped me avoid a potentially VERY expensive incident yesterday. I was driving along in traffic at about 70 to 75km/h in the right lane when some idiot in a red car started to weave in between the two east bound lanes. We were approaching an intersection that does not have an extra right turn lane and the car at the front of the pack decided (a little on the late side) to turn right. So while he was braking hard to turn, the red car pulled from the left into the right lane right in between the first (turning) car and the car ahead of me without signaling his lane change. The car ahead of me slammed his brakes and although I was far enough away from him, I was sort of caught by surprise by the sudden changes happening in front of me. On top of things, the intersection lights were just changing to red. I assume the driver of the red car was trying to get through the intersection before it changed to red. He actually ended up running the red light after the first car had turned out of his way. My car threw up the 'red car' warning light in the heads-up-display and I had already started to brake lightly due to the light change when it all of a sudden changed to a flashing car and was beeping rather loudly to let me know of a possible impending collision (due to the car ahead of me braking so hard that his tires where actually squealing!)... So I immediately pushed the brakes as far and as hard as I could. I could hear the ABS and possibly other stability control systems kick in and the car came to a halt in a surprisingly short distance and stopped less than 8 inches behind the car ahead of me!!! Meanwhile I was watching my rear view mirror and was hoping nobody would crash into me from behind... which thankfully nobody did as the guy that was driving behind me earlier had just moved into the left lane!

I am glad this pre-collision warning system was enabled and working so well as it helped me avoid an accident and give me an indication of how close or how fast I was actually approaching the car ahead of me. I don't think that I would have reacted quite as fast to the situation if I didn't have this feature in the car and turned on!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0