BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

06-30-2023, 09:43 AM   #1
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Acoustic Glass?

I've confirmed that what BMW is calling "acoustic glass" on the X7 is the same as on the 760i.I'm questioning whether this is just standard laminated glass or,indeed, has the special acoustic PVB interlayer as part of the PVB sandwich.Again,per previous posts,when it has the special layer it's supposed to be marked with the word "acoustic",the letter"A",or a pictogram.Don't see that on the windshield or side glass of my car.Mercedes and other manufacturers do so.IMHO,BMW should not be calling it such unless it truly is.Might not seem like a big deal to most, but it does make a difference according to the literature.Would be nice to get a definitive answer from BMW.Good luck with that!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 05:29 PM   #2
Spam Head
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i7 xDrive60 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Good View Post
I've confirmed that what BMW is calling "acoustic glass" on the X7 is the same as on the 760i.I'm questioning whether this is just standard laminated glass or,indeed, has the special acoustic PVB interlayer as part of the PVB sandwich.Again,per previous posts,when it has the special layer it's supposed to be marked with the word "acoustic",the letter"A",or a pictogram.Don't see that on the windshield or side glass of my car.Mercedes and other manufacturers do so.IMHO,BMW should not be calling it such unless it truly is.Might not seem like a big deal to most, but it does make a difference according to the literature.Would be nice to get a definitive answer from BMW.Good luck with that!!
Good point!

I have noticed the same with my i7. The glass panels are supposed to be acoustic but they clearly are not as I can hear plenty of noise from the outside[ whereas I drove another i7 the other day and it was a lot quieter than mine and the glass panels clearly looked thicker.

I think BMW is currently cutting corners at its factory and basically putting whatever it can find on the 7 series cars so to rush through getting them out of the factory as quickly as it can before the Audi 8 and/or S class facelift comes out.

I guess BMW will never admit this but I am truly disappointed with the glass panels on my i7
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam Head View Post
Good point!

I have noticed the same with my i7. The glass panels are supposed to be acoustic but they clearly are not as I can hear plenty of noise from the outside[ whereas I drove another i7 the other day and it was a lot quieter than mine and the glass panels clearly looked thicker.

I think BMW is currently cutting corners at its factory and basically putting whatever it can find on the 7 series cars so to rush through getting them out of the factory as quickly as it can before the Audi 8 and/or S class facelift comes out.

I guess BMW will never admit this but I am truly disappointed with the glass panels on my i7
What was the production date on your i7?
Appreciate 0