BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Can spray painting, how to avoid dust?

I've spray painted my silver dash trim (E90) at home in the hallway on a curtain covering the floor and it looks okay but I can see some dust got onto it. It's matt paint so no polishing. I will do another coat but how can I keep the dust away?

Let me know how you do it.

Cheerio
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

For small pieces in the past I've cobbled together a mini-paint booth from PVC pipe/fittings covered in plastic painter's sheeting.
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      01-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
arom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xdrive

I use one of those bigger box fans on high. Open a window and have it blow the air out the window. that usually keeps dust from settling while the paint is drying. This also helps out with the fumes.
Appreciate 2
tadaska113.50
feuer4274.50
      01-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Hallway maybe not best if it's a high traffic area.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      01-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
I've spray painted my silver dash trim (E90) at home in the hallway on a curtain covering the floor and it looks okay but I can see some dust got onto it. It's matt paint so no polishing. I will do another coat but how can I keep the dust away?

Let me know how you do it.

Cheerio
After you build it up with a few coats. (Sand between coats)
Give it a final light wet sand with a very fine grit sandpaper.

It will give you a nice smooth finish & still be matt.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 2
tadaska113.50
feuer4274.50
      01-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, just look at almost any ten year old car. Anything can be matte.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySleeper View Post
For small pieces in the past I've cobbled together a mini-paint booth from PVC pipe/fittings covered in plastic painter's sheeting.
I'm thinking of doing something similar. Borrowed a friends 10 x 10 pop up canopy, plan to cover the top and sides with sheet plastic, put some down on the garage floor as well, and ventilate it with an old box fan.
      01-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
After you build it up with a few coats. (Sand between coats)
Give it a final light wet sand with a very fine grit sandpaper.

It will give you a nice smooth finish & still be matt.
Here's an example of what i mentioned.
This is my Z4MC, when I painted the console gloss and the gauge trims matt.
It's the same paint, but the gauge pods are wet sanded matt.

the pic isn't the greatest quality (phone ) but you get the idea.
Name:  Blue-interior.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  452.6 KB
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      01-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Start with do not paint in your hallway...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Paint in the lowest dust area in your house.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My hallway is the only place with no furniture so no risk of painting something I don't want painted. And I live alone so traffic is not an issue. But I had windows closed to eliminate draft blowing dust which was a mistake - I had a massive headache after. All other coats I will do outside. But it might be a while before we have a nice day. I live on the coast and it's always windy.

I used 1200 grit sandpaper and it looks good but I notice if I go over it with a fingernail it leaves a permanent mark. It will be okay for the dash as it's not often I have people in my car so should stay unmarked for a while at least. But not sure about the centre console. Is matte a bad idea for the centre console? Or maybe there are tougher paints? Or should I do it with clear coat for the centre console? What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Don't rattle can indoors.

Find a cardboard box big enough to fit the trim piece in, with about 20-30% more surface area surrounding the trim piece so you have some room to spray around. Keep a can of compressed air handy. Blast the cardboard box with compressed air before you start painting, and have a few tack-cloths handy.

Prep the surface, tack the trim before you start spraying. Spray a nice, thin coat with at least 80% coverage, then immediately close up the cardboard box, close it with painter's tape or put something heavy on top so the box doesn't open up. Wait for the first coat to flash as instructed per rattle can manufacturer, usually between 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.

After the paint has flashed and is ready for 2nd coat, use the compressed air to blow any and all contaminant out of the box and tack the trim lightly to remove any and all overspray and dust that settled, but didn't dry into the paint. At this stage, the paint is semi-pliable and any dust that settled on the surface should be picked up by the tack. If you wait too long (like 24 hours) for your 2nd coat, you will have to lightly sand it to remove the dust/overspray that settled on the surface.

Spray the 2nd coat, make sure it's a nice, even, 100% coverage immediately after you tack the surface. As soon as you're done spraying, close up the box and seal it with tape or something heavy on top. Again, wait for flash/drying process as suggested by manufacturer. If it's too cold and damp, and it doesn't dry to touch within the period suggested, you can run a hair-dryer approximately 12-18" away from the surface to speed up the drying process. Depending on if you plan on hitting it for a 3rd coat or if you're clear coating it, tack it with the tack-cloth once it has dried to touch and prep surface accordingly for next step (clear coat or whatever it is your plan).

The trick is the tack-cloths, and not to let the dust "cure" into the paint. When you tack the surface do not rub or scrub, just run the wadded up tack-cloth lightly across the surface multiple times, until the cloth glides across with little resistance. Kinda like when you clay paint, but without lubricant.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      01-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
My hallway is the only place with no furniture so no risk of painting something I don't want painted. And I live alone so traffic is not an issue. But I had windows closed to eliminate draft blowing dust which was a mistake - I had a massive headache after. All other coats I will do outside. But it might be a while before we have a nice day. I live on the coast and it's always windy.

I used 1200 grit sandpaper and it looks good but I notice if I go over it with a fingernail it leaves a permanent mark. It will be okay for the dash as it's not often I have people in my car so should stay unmarked for a while at least. But not sure about the centre console. Is matte a bad idea for the centre console? Or maybe there are tougher paints? Or should I do it with clear coat for the centre console? What do you guys think?
Blah. I have rattle canned a shit ton of stuff in my house. I've used my kitchen (covered the door way & all counters etc with drop cloths) and have used my pool table in my basement a lot to paint things. I cover everything I don't want paint on. Really easy & always come out great. No one would know if I didn't tell them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Usually the bathroom is the lowest dust area in a house.
ITs frequently wet, has no/ample carpet, good ventilation etc.
But rattle can painting shouldnt be done inside due to the hydrocarbons, unless you have the right kind of respitory mask for that type of hydrocarbons and take the service lifespan into account.
That headache is a tell tale sign (been there done that....)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I do it in the garage doors closed
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Usually the bathroom is the lowest dust area in a house.
ITs frequently wet, has no/ample carpet, good ventilation etc.
But rattle can painting shouldnt be done inside due to the hydrocarbons, unless you have the right kind of respitory mask for that type of hydrocarbons and take the service lifespan into account.
That headache is a tell tale sign (been there done that....)
I've been thinking of doing in the bathtub. Clear out and clean the bathroom, spray water in the air to remove dust, cover the bath and walls with plastic sheets and then spray it. But I will only do it for the final coat so I don't need to sand it as this paint gives a very nice, even and smooth, matte finish. And since they aren't big pieces I can be done before I breathed in too much. And just keep it closed with the window open.
Appreciate 0