BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW 7 Series iPerformance eDrive Models Arrive

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 7 Series iPerformance eDrive Models Arrive
COMMENTS
Name:  P90226932-highRes.jpg
Views: 6468
Size:  377.1 KB

Official Release

July 14, 2016

The new BMW 740e iPerformance, the new BMW 740Le iPerformance, the new BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance.

The BMW eDrive drive system technology developed for BMW i cars has arrived in the new BMW 7 Series model range in the shape of three plug-in hybrid luxury sedans. The trio source their power from the myriad talents of a latest-generation four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an electric motor. Together, they deliver a system output of 240 kW/326 hp. The new BMW 740e iPerformance with standard wheelbase and the new BMW 740Le iPerformance with long wheelbase capture the imagination with supreme dynamics, yet also record average petrol consumption of 2.2 – 2.0 litres per 100 kilometres / 128.4 – 141.2 mpg imp and CO2 emissions of 50 – 45 grams per kilometre (BMW 740Le iPerformance: 51 – 45 g/km). In the new BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance (petrol consumption combined:
2.5 – 2.1 l/100 km [113 – 134.5 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 56 –49 g/km), intelligent all-wheel drive distributes the combined power of the combustion engine and electric motor permanently and as required between the front and rear wheels.

The plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series allow top-level driving pleasure, long-distance comfort and luxury to be experienced in combination with all-electric, locally emission-free mobility as well. The BMW iPerformance Automobiles represent the most rigorous implementation yet of Efficient Dynamics in vehicles from the BMW brand. Both BMW eDrive and the body structure with Carbon Core are rooted in know-how from BMW i. When it comes to charging the high-voltage battery, customers benefit from innovative products and services originally developed for BMW i. The BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance can also be specified as an option with anti-dazzle BMW Laserlight, which celebrated its world premiere in the BMW i8 plug-in hybrid sports car.

Intelligent energy management optimises the interplay of the combustion engine and electric motor. The electric boost function provides a noticeable increase in dynamic vigour – expressed most prominently by the powertrain’s instantaneous responses – and combines with enhanced efficiency courtesy of the electric assist function and the opportunity to drive through town and cross-country on electric power only to create a unique symbiosis of driving pleasure and sustainability. The maximum electric range, as per the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, is 44 – 48 kilometres / 27 – 30 miles for the BMW 740e iPerformance and BMW 740Le iPerformance, or 41 – 45 kilometres / 25 – 28 miles for the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance (figures may vary depending on the tyre format specified).

The best of two worlds: BMW eDrive and BMW TwinPower Turbo technology.
The combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology employed by the plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series is a member of the new Efficient Dynamics engine family. Developing maximum output of 190 kW/258 hp, it is the most powerful four-cylinder engine ever fitted in a series-produced BMW. Instantaneous power delivery and peak torque of 400 Newton metres (295 lb-ft) – on tap across a wide rev range (1,550 – 4,400 rpm) – imbue the 2.0-litre unit with vivaciously sporty yet also poised and authoritative performance. In addition, the new engine displays outstanding refinement.

The electric drive system, based on the principle of a permanently excited synchronous motor, boasts exceptionally high power density with a maximum output of 83 kW/113 hp. As is characteristic for electric drive systems, it serves up its peak torque of 250 Newton metres (184 lb-ft) from the word go. The boost effect for the combustion engine provides the driver with thrillingly instantaneous responses. Furthermore, the electric motor takes on the role of a generator which – depending on the hybrid function selected – is powered either by recuperating braking energy or by efficiently raising the engine’s load points. It then feeds the energy it generates into the high-voltage battery.

The electric motor is fully integrated into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. This ensures that pure-electric driving, the dynamics-enhancing electric boost function and the recuperation of braking energy are all extremely efficient. The eight-speed Steptronic transmission has outstanding internal efficiency, top-class shift dynamics and shift comfort, and a compact construction. Gearshift paddles on the steering wheel are available as an option, enabling the driver to make manual gear selections with exceptional swiftness and the greatest of ease.

Working together intelligently, the combustion engine and electric drive system bring a system output of 240 kW/326 hp and a combined peak torque of 500 Newton metres (369 lb-ft) to the table. Immediate response to every movement of the accelerator and sustained delivery of dynamic power allow the BMW 740e iPerformance to dash from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.4 seconds and the BMW 740Le iPerformance to complete the same sprint in 5.5 seconds.

The cars’ sporty driving characteristics are accompanied by extraordinarily low petrol consumption and emissions. The BMW 740e iPerformance and BMW 740Le iPerformance both record combined petrol consumption of 2.2 – 2.0 litres per 100 kilometres (128.4 – 141.2 mpg imp). The CO2 emissions associated with petrol consumption are 50 – 45 grams per kilometre (figures as calculated in the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, may vary depending on the tyre format specified). The exceptional efficiency of the BMW eDrive technology developed using know-how from BMW i is revealed once again in all-electric, locally emission-free driving. The electric power consumption of the plug-in hybrid luxury sedans, as calculated in the EU test cycle, stands at 13.3 – 12.5 kWh per 100 kilometres for the BMW 740e iPerformance and 13.3 – 12.6 kWh per 100 kilometres for the BMW 740Le iPerformance (figures may vary depending on the tyre format specified).

BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance: permanent all-wheel drive also applies to all-electric driving.
The BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance follows in the tyre tracks of the BMW X5 xDrive40e iPerformance Sports Activity Vehicle as the brand’s second model to distribute its power permanently to all four wheels in pure-electric driving, when the combustion engine cuts in and when both drive systems are in use at the same time. The intelligent all-wheel-drive system ensures supreme traction, optimised directional stability and enhanced agility through enthusiastically taken corners in all weather and road conditions.

Perfectly executed power distribution between the front and rear wheels gives the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance extremely dynamic accelerative ability, with the journey from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) completed in 5.3 seconds. Yet the petrol consumption of the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance is just 2.5 – 2.1 litres per 100 kilometres (113 – 134.5 mpg imp) combined, while the associated CO2 emissions are 56 – 49 grams per kilometre (figures as calculated in the EU test cycle for plug-in hybrid vehicles, may vary depending on the tyre format specified). The combined electric power consumption of the BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance in the EU test cycle comes in at between 13.9 and 13.2 kWh per 100 kilometres (figures may vary depending on the tyre format specified).

eDrive button allows powertrain control to be configured as desired.
The driver can use the eDrive button on the centre console to change how the plug-in hybrid drive system operates. In the AUTO eDRIVE hybrid function, intelligent energy management ensures the combustion engine and electric motor work together with maximum efficiency and to dynamically optimised effect. The operating strategy defaults to all-electric mode at low and moderate speeds to utilise the advantages of locally emission-free mobility as widely as possible. The combustion engine only joins the fray at a speed of around 80 km/h (50 mph) or under heavy throttle applications.

The driver can switch to the MAX eDRIVE pure-electric mode at the touch of a button. In this setting the car is powered exclusively by the electric motor, although the combustion engine can be brought into play at any time by pushing the accelerator into kickdown. In the MAX eDRIVE setting, the BMW iPerformance variants of the new BMW 7 Series have a pure-electric top speed of 140 km/h (87 mph).

The Battery Control setting allows the charge of the high-voltage battery to be set manually. The driver can input a target value between 30 and 100 per cent of maximum charge, which is then available for pure-electric driving later in the journey. For example, electric power can be held back or even increased while on the motorway so it can be used subsequently for locally emission-free driving in town.

Driving Experience Control switch with ADAPTIVE mode, clearly noticeable differentiation between SPORT, COMFORT and ECO PRO mode.
The plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series are also equipped as standard with the newly designed Driving Experience Control switch on the centre console. At the touch of a button, the driver can activate a vehicle setting that optimises dynamics, comfort or efficiency. The range of characters encompassed by ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT modes are even more clearly defined than with conventionally powered vehicles.

Beyond this, the Driving Experience Control switch offers the option of selecting ADAPTIVE mode. In this setting, the car’s responses adapt noticeably to the driver’s style and route profile.

High-voltage lithium-ion battery: developed specifically for the models at hand, integrated with space-saving skill.
The high-voltage lithium-ion battery has a gross capacity of 9.2 kWh and net capacity of 7.4 kWh. It is accommodated underneath the rear seat bench in a space-saving position that also provides optimum crash safety. The BMW iPerformance variants of the new BMW 7 Series therefore also benefit from a level surface in the luggage compartment, which offers a capacity of 420 litres. The stowage volume and practicality of the load area set the benchmark in the luxury plug-in hybrid sedan segment.

The energy flow between the high-voltage battery, electric motor and charger is controlled by power electronics likewise developed specifically for these models. The power electronics also regulate the supply of energy from the high-voltage battery to the 12V onboard electrical system via a voltage transformer.

Simple, hassle-free and flexible charging thanks to innovative products and services von BMW 360° ELECTRIC.
The high-voltage battery can be topped up with energy from any domestic power socket, a Wallbox designed for higher currents or public charging stations. The battery can be fully charged in under four hours from a domestic power socket and in under three hours from a BMW i Wallbox. Added to which, BMW 360° ELECTRIC includes the ChargeNow service, which grants straightforward access to partner charging stations and can also be used for the convenient billing of monthly energy costs.

Standard specification includes auxiliary air conditioning.
The high level of standard specification for the BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance includes LED headlights, the BMW Display Key, the ConnectedDrive navigation package, smartphone integration with inductive charging facility for the phone battery, and an iDrive operating system expanded to include a touchscreen function for the Control Display and the globally unique BMW gesture control feature. Customers can also look forward to auxiliary heating and air conditioning, which allow them to prepare the car’s interior temperature in advance. The heating and air conditioning system of the plug-in hybrid models is supplied with energy from the high-voltage battery. When the car’s battery is being charged, the auxiliary air conditioning function is powered by the mains supply.

The charger connection for the high-voltage battery can be found under the flap in the left-hand front side panel. The high-set position of the connection makes the charging process easier. Standard equipment includes a charging cable for use with a domestic power socket, which can be stored in a bag in the boot area to save space. Inside the BMW 740e iPerformance, BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance, the most prominent hybrid-specific features include – in addition to the eDrive button – special graphic displays in the instrument cluster and Control Display. On the outside, the transfer of technology from BMW i is flagged up by “eDrive” badges on the C-pillars, the BMW i logo on the front side panels (left and right), BMW kidney grille bars in BMW i Blue and blue hub covers.

Exceptional efficiency coupled with driving pleasure, long-distance comfort and made-to-measure luxury.
The iPerformance variants of the BMW 7 Series model range bring together exceptional efficiency and a form of luxurious driving pleasure and long-distance comfort that speaks to both the present and the future. Both the front and rear seats can be specified as an option with comfort seats, active seat ventilation, a massage function with Vitality Programme and the Heat Comfort package. Maximising personal wellbeing in the rear compartment of the BMW 740Le iPerformance and BMW 740Le xDrive iPerformance, meanwhile, is the Executive Lounge option. Moreover, the Sky Lounge Panorama glass roof is also available for these models.

The selection of driver assistance systems includes the new-generation BMW Head-Up Display as well as the Parking Assistant, Driving Assistant, Driving Assistant Plus and Surround View systems. The iPerformance variants of the new BMW 7 Series can also be ordered as an option with the M Sport package, Pure Excellence exterior design and interior design packages and BMW Individual Design Composition.

Flexible and efficient production of electric drive systems in model-specific configurations.
The BMW Group uses the knowledge gained in the development of BMW i cars for the production of its own electric motors and high-voltage batteries. BMW eDrive technology is also employed in the BMW iPerformance models. The company’s stand-out expertise in the field of electric drive systems is reflected not only in the exceptional performance of the electric motors and high-voltage batteries, but also in efficient production methods. An intelligent modular system for eDrive technology and a flexible production concept enable the BMW Group to respond quickly and precisely to customer requirements the world over.

Name:  P90226934-highRes.jpg
Views: 6666
Size:  315.8 KB

Name:  P90226935-highRes.jpg
Views: 6611
Size:  380.8 KB

Name:  P90226938-highRes.jpg
Views: 6592
Size:  175.0 KB

Name:  P90226939-highRes.jpg
Views: 6512
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  P90226942-highRes.jpg
Views: 6468
Size:  356.5 KB

Name:  P90226943-highRes.jpg
Views: 6431
Size:  330.3 KB

Name:  P90226944-highRes.jpg
Views: 6496
Size:  459.7 KB

Name:  P90226945-highRes.jpg
Views: 6483
Size:  381.7 KB

Name:  P90226946-highRes.jpg
Views: 6430
Size:  375.3 KB

Name:  P90226947-highRes.jpg
Views: 6304
Size:  341.4 KB

Name:  P90226948-highRes.jpg
Views: 6428
Size:  189.1 KB

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
sanimc
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i, i8, F30 328i, X5

i8 technology is gonna slowly leak into all BMW models soon enough
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Disappointing that the 6 pot is not appearing to be making it into any of their hybrids

Would love a 340e estate next with a 6 pot and some reserve boost/Eco electrification for blasts/shorter journeys
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
I would struggle to put $$ into a 7 series and get a 4 cylinder. I can see the power is there but the delivery of the straight six and sound is a BMW beautiful thing. I guess this allows them the ability to put larger engines in other variants and still be within the consumption allowances as a manufacturer.
      07-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

More expensive than a 740i and not necessary better
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The only thing slower than this car's 0-60 time will be it's sales pace.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for sharing the details, it looks like E Drive models will become more common in a few years than that of today
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

I seldom drive fast in my 7 series. Car perform nicely under 120Km/h.
I just want more advance features, such as much accurate/handy gps and auto-pilot.
If I need to drive fast, I just take my Porsche or M3 out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Would've been awesome to see this with a RWD option
      07-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

This will work for the baby boomer, Tesla cross shopper for sure. For most of us, its meh.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

Someone knows where was this photo taken?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

It will sell well in many markets - the 740i 750i don't sell at all well in europe. This gives an alternative to diesel.

I still went 730d though as i don't spend my time in stop start traffic.

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0