BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Engine air filter changing tips

Just in case anybody else wants to change their own filters, here are a few things I learned today when I did mine. This is on an N63 motor, and should be the same for all N63s whether its 5, 6, 7 series or X5/X6. I do know on smaller vehicles the rear cowl cover has to come off first. Not the 7 though. Obviously the engine cover has to come off too. It lifts straight up.

1. Remove the airboxes from the car. Very easy, 1 hose clamp, MAF connector, 1 clip, and 2 ball and socket joints. Loosen the clamp on the turbo to airbox hose, open the clip that holds down the rubber isolator, remove the MAF harness, pull up to release the ball and socket joints. The air tunnel will have to be released too, you can see the little fastener on the side when you lift the box, just push it in. The O2 sensor wires may be connected to the heat shield. You'll have to remove them if they are. The heat shield comes comes out with the box. One of mine was attached to the shield, the other wasn't.

Much easier that way than trying to undo all the screws with the box in the car. Many are hidden and some are between the boxes and firewall. Speaking of which....

2. The screws that hold the box closed are T-20 Torx. Just loosen them. They'll stay in the lid. There are 8 per box.

3. The filters' seals may be stuck to the bottom of the airbox. You can just use a screwdriver to pop them loose.

4. Installation is the reverse of removal. Attach the air tunnel first, then the rubber coupler to the turbos, line up the ball and sockets push down and push the isolator into its home. Secure the isolator clip, plug in the MAF, line up the coupler and tighten the clamp. If the O2 wires need to be replaced, do that too.

Its a fairly easy job. Took me about an hour to do the pair, including bringing the boxes upstairs individually, so I didn't have to work in the heat, and washing them out. The filters were gross. Totally black. I'm about to hit 50k, and these were done at least once before because they weren't BMW filters. No idea what the service schedule calls for, but I'd call for every 25k MAX. I'll probably play it safe and check them at 10k.

I used Mahle filters from Rock Auto, because they were only $15 each. I'm currently trying to get K&N to make a high flow replacements, but having a hard time convincing them that theres a market. AFAIK nobody makes a real intake for these motors. Dinans "intake" is overpriced and reuses the stock boxes, so I don't see it being any better than stock. I tried talking Burger into making one, but again, no market, so not worth doing.

Last edited by Mike_L; 08-26-2014 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Addition.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
jhartmac
Rep
Drives: 750I

Did you replace with stock filters?
Appreciate 0