BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #155
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Ok, really the days of owning a car out of warranty have been long over with the massive technology but officially this car 100 percent ends the ability to ever own a car out of warranty! So much tech
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #156
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
little? are you dumb you just sound jealous The new 7 is on another level. S class needs to play catch up. I'm not even joking, I already know S class owners that will be trading their S classes for an M sport 7 100% as they have said.

Bravo BMW.
How much is BMW paying you to write this stuff or are you like one of those Apple fanboys? This car is definitely better in terms of technology than the previous generation, but as far as design, it is a massive failure. It is ugly to look at. Just put a Toyota badge on it and you will be raging about how ugly it is.

Compare this car with the previous generation. It looks the same. Side profile (except the stupid hockey stick). Front looks ghastly with huge headlights with squiggly LEDs, that belong to a truck, connecting with the grille. The M Sport front bumper looks similar to the 6 series M Sport bumper, including the fog lights. The rear M Sport bumper with a huge, wide black cutout looks weird, especially on the white car. The aluminum dash looks cheap and does not go well with certain trims. But the interior certainly is miles ahead than previous generation in terms of comfort, especially in the back with the high end packages. Yet, they do not have the same amount of prestige and technology as the S class. Not this time, perhaps never.

And Merc already has 2 versions of AMG, a Maybach and a Pullman among other variants. BMW will drag their feet in making an M7, if at all. By no means am I a Merc fanboy. All our cars for the past 23 years have been BMWs. However, my father is replacing his 7 with the S600. It is just disheartening to see no effort and no creativity put in design. Management seems to just want to cut costs and corners.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #157
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
little? are you dumb you just sound jealous The new 7 is on another level. S class needs to play catch up. I'm not even joking, I already know S class owners that will be trading their S classes for an M sport 7 100% as they have said.

Bravo BMW.
How much is BMW paying you to write this stuff or are you like one of those Apple fanboys? This car is definitely better in terms of technology than the previous generation, but as far as design, it is a massive failure. It is ugly to look at. Just put a Toyota badge on it and you will be raging about how ugly it is.

Compare this car with the previous generation. It looks the same. Side profile (except the stupid hockey stick). Front looks ghastly with huge headlights with squiggly LEDs, that belong to a truck, connecting with the grille. The M Sport front bumper looks similar to the 6 series M Sport bumper, including the fog lights. The rear M Sport bumper with a huge, wide black cutout looks weird, especially on the white car. The aluminum dash looks cheap and does not go well with certain trims. But the interior certainly is miles ahead than previous generation in terms of comfort, especially in the back with the high end packages. Yet, they do not have the same amount of prestige and technology as the S class. Not this time, perhaps never.

And Merc already has 2 versions of AMG, a Maybach and a Pullman among other variants. BMW will drag their feet in making an M7, if at all. By no means am I a Merc fanboy. All our cars for the past 23 years have been BMWs. However, my father is replacing his 7 with the S600. It is just disheartening to see no effort and no creativity put in design. Management seems to just want to cut costs and corners.
Just curious if you drive BMW cars or motorcycles.

Because someone who has been around BMWs for 23 years should know bimmer is for the cars and beemers for the bikes..misterbeemer.

The 6-series has been proclaimed as one of the best looking cars in the world, so not sure where you're going with the front bumper part.

Sounds like you've seen one in person..do tell me more about it..

I've already seen a number of people put on our wait list for the new 7. And they drive the s-class. I mean..if two huge screens with an ugly array of buttons suites you then so be it. But don't trash on the BMW design mister*bimmer*

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #158
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post

lol

The car looks great. The Merc looks like an old man's car. I do like it but this new 7 is futuristic. Also this looks nothing like the outgoing 7 except for the grill. That out going 7 was a let down. This 7 is sleek just like the e38 and e65 LCI.

The greatest thing about the merc is the fact that it has no conventional bulb and those two screens. would i drive one? ofcourse. Would I buy it over this new 7. Only if I want to try another brand.

This 7 will be a head turner.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #159
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

head lights are a little bit awkward for me,
might grow, don't know.
      06-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #160
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Not sure how people are claiming this doesn't compete with the S class when the car isn't even out yet. Unless you've driven, sat inside, touched, felt, experienced the car in person, how can you come to such a conclusion.

I've test driven the current S550 and I am honestly not a fan, I'd rather have a 2015 7 series. I didn't like the ride in the S class at all, engine vibration felt through the peddle was more than I expected, 7 series engine is a lot smoother and the ride felt better. S class ride reminds me of a Lincoln towncar.
      06-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #161
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I did a quick photoshop and removed the horizontal piece extended from the breather vent but left the the piece on the fender and it makes a pretty big difference in appearance from the side.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #162
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The 740e is an interesting solution. The rest is behind or on par with competition. The weight savings is more marketing than really something any regular driver would even notice. The same as driving with 1 or 2 people in the car. I do not notice any difference. What about you?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #163
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Love the M Sport. And yes it looks so much better than leaked photos.
+1

The 7 Series M Sport is the best looking 7 to date. It looks sporty and also elegant at the same time as it should.

I still would never have a use or a desire for such a behemoth.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #164
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
The 6-series has been proclaimed as one of the best looking cars in the world, so not sure where you're going with the front bumper part.
Who exactly proclaimed that?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #165
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by petritnikqi
This car has masculinity writen all over it..manliest car ive ever seen..
Im loving it..
Agreed. Radical change. Reminds me of the e65/e66 on how different this is.

You can be sure, all of the parts that get critical acceptance will be found in the next 5 and 3.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #166
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM
Ok, really the days of owning a car out of warranty have been long over with the massive technology but officially this car 100 percent ends the ability to ever own a car out of warranty! So much tech
Yes. Bill Gates could not afford this car out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #167
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Well done.
BMW nailed it this time.
Design wise, this is a step in the right direction. Evolutionary and conservative, appropriate for this segment. The little details that BMW revived in the headlight proportions and the character line that runs from the headlight to the taillight also nod to the traditional BMW design.
Although the engines aren't too impressive, the technological and engineering feats in the refinement of the cabin and chassis, respectively, really set a new bar for the 7er

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #168
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Okay, you read it here first folks!

Only one thing missing!

The first feature should be called

Dynamic Evolutionary Encryption Processor:

It's sole function is to manage connectivity between driver and vehicle.

Why?

With so much tech, comes even more opportunity for exploitation.

I want to know that there is no perimeter. All vehicle comm is treated as potentially hostile.

We need to make sure no one can penetrates the subsystems.

This also, regrettably, would mean no more coding.

Or, there must be a clean interface with an open spec. to allow coders---legitimately.

We need to make sure the uplink between the steering wheel and the controller cannot be hacked.

My point is that data security should be a key feature---heck, make it an option!

I am surprised BMW missed this opportunity here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #169
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
I know this is probably my ADHD and lack of sleep talking but damn, this man and his scarves:

Wait! All of them have scarves on? Is that like a pre-requisite to be an automotive designer? "I wear a scarf, therefore I design shit". But seriously every single time I see Van Hooydonk he has a scarf on...

This new 7 is pretty sexy though, and like others have said, more masculine than I expected. Like I would actually drive the M-Sport version and wouldn't mind being seen in it. Not at all an old mans car like the new S Class (which my old-man owns, coincidentally ). I would love it if they made an M7. It's gorgeous though, the only thing I'm still on the fence on is the "hockey-stick", and for some reason I thought I have seen this design element on another recent luxury car/brand recently but I can't remember which... I want to say Lexus but I don't know if that's right. Oh well. A Mineral White 750i M-Sport with black rims and black chrome trim, please!

///Mikey
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #170
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Doesn't have the same effect on me as the previous generations did. Looks pretty horrible even in Msport. The sketch design looks a lot better - more sleek with better porportions. How did the actual thing come out looking like a box compared to the drawings? The main part of it is the front end. Bigger grill and boxier headlights compared to the sketch.

And anyone else see a F30 in the rear? Where the tail lamps flow to the bumper. That is totally 3 series right there.

The only things I like about this car are the keyfob, and how the back of the front seat opens up leg support for the back seat.

Other than that, meh. S Class is still the bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #171
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

M-Sport saved this vehicle. Looks very nice.
      06-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #172
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
They are gonna sell so many mineral white M sport 7 series...a lot of 6GC owners will upgrade. a lot of 5 series m sport buyers will also actually want a 7 series...

just like they sold so many mineral white M sport X5...

bmw has hit a home run with most of their m sport models (except the x1 which imho looks better in base x28i form with alu trims).
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #173
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fantastic! Love the new 7-series.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #174
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

[QUOTE=///Mikey e90;18069595]I know this is probably my ADHD and lack of sleep talking but damn, this man and his scarves

Well i like the designs of Van Hooydonk but i dont really like the design of Van Hooydonk itself
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #175
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I've watched this video three times already and even the non M Sport version looks great. The lines on the car from a design point make it look very elegant. And the technology in it is absolutely sublime. I think BMW will sell a lot of these as it offers something different from the competition. Something that consumers in the market for a luxury vehicle like this will want. Can't wait for the magazines to test drive it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:09 AM   #176
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The new 7er is seriously the modern day Pimp-mobile.

I'll take...

Individual w/ All Options
Carbon Black
Ivory White & Black Extended
w/Carbon Fiber Inlays

Security w/ xDrive

Appreciate 0