BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new car over the internet?
Yes 16 37.21%
No 21 48.84%
Undecided but interested in the concept. 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

11-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
The Poll: Would you buy a new car from Amazon?

Thought a poll would yield interesting results! To level the field: this is only for new vehicle purchases.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Well the poll says over the internet and the post says on Amazon... different questions. I HAVE bought cars overs the internet, both directly from the manufacturer (Tesla) and from out of state dealers where basically everything was done over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

I have purchased cars sight unseen from out of state so I guess yes? lol
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 03:25 AM   #4
a0krn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

Any details about Amazon car returns? Is it still 30 days?
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1603.00
      11-26-2023, 09:31 PM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I don't see any issue... hell, give me a flat fee w 2 day prime shipping and I am down.

People have no idea how something like this would up end the M3/M4 market... the price would baseline every dealer and every dealer would be screwed on markups.
Accentu8703.50
      11-27-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

When you put it in your shopping cart and go to check out, will it add a 7K market adjustment?
      11-28-2023, 10:25 PM   #7
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0krn View Post
Any details about Amazon car returns? Is it still 30 days?
That would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 01:26 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
30 votes tallied are we are deadlocked. Whodathunkit!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well the poll says over the internet and the post says on Amazon... different questions. I HAVE bought cars overs the internet, both directly from the manufacturer (Tesla) and from out of state dealers where basically everything was done over the internet.
I didn't vote because it's two different questions. Depending on your definition of buying a car over the internet, I guess you could say I already have many times. I didn't pay electronically like I would Amazon. I don't think any dealer is ready for that yet considering all the signatures that are required to obtain a car, especially when it's out of state.

I think the closest I came to a true internet purchase of a car was with Champion Porsche in Florida. I did the deposit online, then they overnighted paperwork to me with return envelope. Once ratified, they coordinated delivery of car to me.

I bought a van from Georgia, which included my trade. They drove the van up, we signed paperwork, and he drove my trade back. It was almost surreal.

I bought another Porsche from PA and same situation except they rode the Amtrak back since I wasn't trading anything.

I almost bought a car in Wisconsin that way but they had to send a notary to witness signatures and verify my identity. Which is all well and good until they had trouble getting everything arranged. After almost three weeks of trying to get it done, and several hours taken off of work, I pulled the plug and got my money back.

So I guess what I'm saying is different dealers/states have different requirements that kind of prevent you from having a true internet transaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I didn't vote because it's two different questions. Depending on your definition of buying a car over the internet, I guess you could say I already have many times. I didn't pay electronically like I would Amazon. I don't think any dealer is ready for that yet considering all the signatures that are required to obtain a car, especially when it's out of state.

I think the closest I came to a true internet purchase of a car was with Champion Porsche in Florida. I did the deposit online, then they overnighted paperwork to me with return envelope. Once ratified, they coordinated delivery of car to me.

I bought a van from Georgia, which included my trade. They drove the van up, we signed paperwork, and he drove my trade back. It was almost surreal.

I bought another Porsche from PA and same situation except they rode the Amtrak back since I wasn't trading anything.

I almost bought a car in Wisconsin that way but they had to send a notary to witness signatures and verify my identity. Which is all well and good until they had trouble getting everything arranged. After almost three weeks of trying to get it done, and several hours taken off of work, I pulled the plug and got my money back.

So I guess what I'm saying is different dealers/states have different requirements that kind of prevent you from having a true internet transaction.
Tesla is pretty much 100% online. I don't believe you even need to interact with anyone when you go pick it up as you automatically get access through your phone. I did talk to the person because I wasn't sure what to do, but they basically just said use the app and it's parked outside.

Everything else was done 100% online including the financing which I did through my own bank. I don't recall but I'm assuming it was all docusign or the like if there was any paperwork.

So it CAN be done... at least in FL and anywhere Tesla sells... the industry just chooses not to do it.
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1083.50
c1pher4671.50
      12-05-2023, 03:01 PM   #11
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I've always test drove cars for a couple of hours before decision. Tried out the suspension the nvh the performance the features etc.
In Tesla's case I did so and didn't buy. If amazon offers this feature I'd see if they offer test drive. If they do I'd evaluate if the car appeals to me. Then I'd buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 04:28 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I've always test drove cars for a couple of hours before decision. Tried out the suspension the nvh the performance the features etc.
In Tesla's case I did so and didn't buy. If amazon offers this feature I'd see if they offer test drive. If they do I'd evaluate if the car appeals to me. Then I'd buy.
Didn't consider the test drive part. I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. If it's very used I would want to test drive the specific car, but new just test driving one in general is fine. I already owned a used model 3 previously so that's why I didn't have an issue ordering online from Tesla. Although Tesla specifically does offer test drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #13
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Didn't consider the test drive part. I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. If it's very used I would want to test drive the specific car, but new just test driving one in general is fine. I already owned a used model 3 previously so that's why I didn't have an issue ordering online from Tesla. Although Tesla specifically does offer test drives.
Tesla test drive process is simply the best in my experience . Book online turn up humandroid shows you the car then drive. There is simply no excuse for not test driving one model if you haven’t.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #14
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Little over a day left in this Poll, hoping to drum up a few more votes! An assumption that I made... but should have stated originally was:

"you already know what vehicle you want before deciding to order online, including tons of research, in an person viewing/test drive."

This wasnt meant to pose the risk of buying something online that you dont actually like... more about the process of buying online versus dealing with the stresses of an in-person purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 12:09 AM   #15
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

I would do a lot of things to avoid a dealership.
Appreciate 2
RM72892.50
Bingham276.00
      12-24-2023, 01:48 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Little over a day left in this Poll, hoping to drum up a few more votes! An assumption that I made... but should have stated originally was:

"you already know what vehicle you want before deciding to order online, including tons of research, in an person viewing/test drive."

This wasnt meant to pose the risk of buying something online that you dont actually like... more about the process of buying online versus dealing with the stresses of an in-person purchase.
So outside of a dealer, where do you see the car in person and test drive it?

Ridiculous thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 10:56 AM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Ridiculous thread.
Showrooms owned and managed by the manufacturer. You go to the showroom and see, drive and learn about the vehicles then you purchase online. I wouldn't mind buying at the showroom either if they were ran by the manufacturer and didn't involve any of the bs dealers do now.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #18
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Ridiculous thread.
How much value is there in this?

When I test drive a car, it doesn't seen any more effective than sitting in it. I don't get to experience the nuisances and issues that I would encounter driving it every day for a few weeks. THATs where you find the things you love or can't freaking deal with IME. Other than sitting in it to see if I like the interior, the chances of the dealership model matching the spec I am looking for are typically almost zero, such as the active suspension or transmission/engine choices that radically affect how the car drives. I'd rather a competent reviewer and orgs break down the car and do some honest assessments, because they're going to find those things that I'd find 2 weeks down the road...that I don't want to find out about after it's too late.

I think we "do it" because everyone has before, but it seems to be less and less beneficial now. Typically, I'm ordering a model that isn't sitting on the lot.

Last edited by RM7; 12-24-2023 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:31 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I can't vote?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Ridiculous thread.
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.

Or yeah. set up showrooms like mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      12-24-2023, 01:25 PM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
How much value is there in this?

When I test drive a car, it doesn't seen any more effective than sitting in it. I don't get to experience the nuisances and issues that I would encounter driving it every day for a few weeks. THATs where you find the things you love or can't freaking deal with IME. Other than sitting in it to see if I like the interior, the chances of the dealership model matching the spec I am looking for are typically almost zero, such as the active suspension or transmission/engine choices that radically affect how the car drives. I'd rather a competent reviewer and orgs break down the car and do some honest assessments, because they're going to find those things that I'd find 2 weeks down the road...that I don't want to find out about after it's too late.

I think we "do it" because everyone has before, but it seems to be less and less beneficial now. Typically, I'm ordering a model that isn't sitting on the lot.
I think there is some value to test driving a car even though I also think the current 10 min test drive around the block is crap. There are cars that I immediately disliked 1 min into the test drive. There are also cars that seemed fine during the test drive only to find issues later on under certain conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.
I think this should be the standard. It may be tougher for special order custom stuff, but for your average car I think they should all come with a X day trial period. For more custom cars they could always have a similar model that maybe you can take for a day or what not to really test drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 10:07 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

Or yeah. set up showrooms like mentioned above.
I doubt any manufacturer would ever have such a program for a regular ole street car. It's not a dress.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00