BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Driver's Door Speaker Buzzing

Any info / insight on this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499255 ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I REPEAT: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS POS COMPANY???

One plus years ago my driver's door speaker was buzzing at times, most noticeable / reproducible when on a telephone call. Dealer A "could not duplicate", but the problem was not as apparent as it later became. Subsequently dropped car off at Dealer B, came to pick up the car and again received "could not duplicate" BS. Spoke to shop foreman and showed him the problem. The dealer held on to the car further and replaced the offending speaker, which - GUESS WHAT??? - SOLVED THE F'N PROBLEM.

Fast forward, problem returns. Dealer A again says "could not duplicate". I get very upset and reproduce problem for the service writer, who gets shop foreman to come out. Reproduce problem for shop foreman, but he deflects in a million different ways and ultimately states he does not hear any buzzing; BS, BS, BS. Looking him straight in the eyes, while we're side by side in the car, and he's lying to my face. Shop foreman goes to speak with service manager, they spend 5+ minutes in his office, service manager comes out, I'm thinking great, let me show him the problem (car is no more than a couple hundred feet away), but he refuses and states his foreman is his eyes and ears and stands by his determination, in response to which my voice became publically loud.

Time passes, driver's door speaker has continued to buzz and front passenger door now buzzes as well. Bring car to Dealer B, show mechanic buzzing upon drop off, which I'm able to readily reproduce and which he readily acknowledges, WEEK AND A HALF LATER, return to dealer only to receive the "could not duplicate" BS, get in the car with the service advisor and shop foreman, able to reproduce the problem, only for the shop foreman to deflect, lie, etc. stating he doesn't hear anything, then stating he does, but it's the radio and the phone signal, and that no "codes" are showing. I become beyond frustrated.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???

Last edited by dbs600; 04-05-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

Its not the speaker, or speakers. Most likely the amp or the headunit. But indeed, this should be investigated step by step. First check the speakers (ie take em out and do a test on them). Then replace the amp and headunit.

Not your problem if that takes a whole week and a few hundred usd.

A company can be as good or bad as the service they offer. In this case, unfortunately a very bad one ... good luck !
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

[QUOTE=dbs600]I REPEAT: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS POS COMPANY???

One plus years ago my driver's door speaker was buzzing at times, most noticeable / reproducible when on a telephone call. Dealer A "could not duplicate", but the problem was not as apparent as it later became. Subsequently dropped car off at Dealer B, came to pick up the car and again received "could not duplicate" BS. Spoke to shop foreman and showed him the problem. The dealer held on to the car further and replaced the offending speaker, which - GUESS WHAT??? - SOLVED THE F'N PROBLEM.

Fast forward, problem returns. Dealer A again says "could not duplicate". I get very upset and reproduce problem for the service writer, who gets shop foreman to come out. Reproduce problem for shop foreman, but he deflects in a million different ways and ultimately states he does not hear any buzzing; BS, BS, BS. Looking him straight in the eyes, while we're side by side in the car, and he's lying to my face. Shop foreman goes to speak with service manager, they spend 5+ minutes in his office, service manager comes out, I'm thinking great, let me show him the problem (car is no more than a couple hundred feet away), but he refuses and states his foreman is his eyes and ears and stands by his determination, in response to which my voice became publically loud.

Time passes, driver's door speaker has continued to buzz and front passenger door now buzzes as well. Bring car to Dealer B, show mechanic buzzing upon drop off, which I'm able to readily reproduce and which he readily acknowledges, WEEK AND A HALF LATER, return to dealer only to receive the "could not duplicate" BS, get in the car with the service advisor and shop foreman, able to reproduce the problem, only for the shop foreman to deflect, lie, etc. stating he doesn't hear anything, then stating he does, but it's the radio and the phone signal, and that no "codes" are showing. I become beyond frustrated.

WHAT THE IS GOING ON HERE???[/QUOTE

I expect buzzing from the phone system speaker as it is a POS---or the amp driving it a POS.

Try lowering 200Hz on your EQ.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I expect buzzing from the phone system speaker as it is a POS---or the amp driving it a POS. Try lowering 200Hz on your EQ.
Thank you for the suggestion to reduce the 200Hz EQ setting, but the speaker(s) haven't always done this and they shouldn't now. But, yes, I agree, the system is terrible to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Looking at your post history, you've had more problems with your vehicle than all of the rest of us put together!

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Try lowering 200Hz on your EQ.
You're right; I've isolated the buzzing to 200Hz!

Why is this happening and how did you know 200Hz would be the culprit?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
You're right; I've isolated the buzzing to 200Hz!

Why is this happening and how did you know 200Hz would be the culprit?

Thanks!
a resonance issue ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_ACS View Post
a resonance issue ?
I'm not familiar with electrical / audio terms; can you please elaborate? Would this be a mechanical / component failure or a wiring / grounding problem? I’m going to show the problem to the dealership’s General Manager in two weeks (he’s away now) and I’d like to be as well versed as possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Car is at (a different) dealer now and they're replacing the amplifier.

Any chance that buzzing out of one speaker can be caused by a bad amp?

I'd think I'd be having problems with more than one (starting to be two) speaker(s), if so...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Car is at (a different) dealer now and they're replacing the amplifier.

Any chance that buzzing out of one speaker can be caused by a bad amp?

I'd think I'd be having problems with more than one (starting to be two) speaker(s), if so...
Well, speakers don't clip, amplifiers do. Speakers are passive devices.

In a perfect world, I would swap speaker making noise with its opposite side counterpart. If the problem follows the speaker, it is the speaker.

If the problem does not move, then your amp is fried.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, speakers don't clip, amplifiers do. Speakers are passive devices.

In a perfect world, I would swap speaker making noise with its opposite side counterpart. If the problem follows the speaker, it is the speaker.

If the problem does not move, then your amp is fried.
True; I see what you're saying; smart!

What does 'clip' mean though?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
anowlan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Quote:
I expect buzzing from the phone system speaker as it is a POS---or the amp driving it a POS. Try lowering 200Hz on your EQ.
Thank you for the suggestion to reduce the 200Hz EQ setting, but the speaker(s) haven't always done this and they shouldn't now. But, yes, I agree, the system is terrible to begin with.
It's not the speakers, or the amp. I have the same problem.

The sound is crystal clear at very high volumes, but at certain resonant frequencies, the metal grills will buzz. I believe this is the problem.

Artist: hankat
Song: be the first, rosenstand remix.

This song will reproduce the problem. You'd have to be a deaf service advisor not to hear the problem,
      06-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anowlan View Post
It's not the speakers, or the amp. I have the same problem.
Thanks, anowlan.

So what have you done about it? Have you taken your car to the dealer?

If so, what result? If not, do you plan to?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
anowlan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330e

Hankat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks, anowlan.

So what have you done about it? Have you taken your car to the dealer?

If so, what result? If not, do you plan to?
I mentioned it. They "couldn't reproduce the problem." Then, i found the song I mentioned above. I haven't been back in for service since. But when I do I'll find that track on MOG, and have the service advisor listen. I'll let you know what happens.
      06-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anowlan View Post
I'll let you know what happens.
Yes, please do. This is very frustrating.

Otherwise, just to be sure, can you please try calling these numbers through bluetooth and tell me if you hear the buzzing(?):

(800) 275-2273
(866) 536-0359
(516) 239-5358

Thanks.
Appreciate 0