BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Considering having my car detailed (compounded)...

Considering having my car detailed (compounded) for the first time, but have some questions:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis)

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn’t realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I’d receive an honest answer)

P.S.: I’d use a reputable local shop that’s been around for a long time and details all types of cars, high end exotics included.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

A month after detailing I noticed these not previously present hologram marks throughout my car, most noticeable on the hood (just now had the time to take and post pictures).

Suffice to say, very upset, and the "detailer" didn't have the right attitude when I showed him; ended in argument (so don't want him trying to fix this either).

Any insight into whether or not this can be fixed, without continual / ongoing sealing / maintenance?
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 05-30-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
gsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo

U may need a clay treatment. I see you are also i NY, which detailer?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
U may need a clay treatment. I see you are also i NY, which detailer?
Thank you.

Skips Detailing in Woodmere, NY.

I've since told three people in the neighborhood, one of which said the shop ruined a boat of theirs a couple of years ago by using the wrong wax!

Where are you located?

Last edited by dbs600; 07-10-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Yes, those are rotary buffer marks that probably surfaced and became more noticeable after the wax and filler came off after a few washes.

That can be easily removed by going over the affected sections with a light polish and a dual action buffer or a porter cable polisher.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
Yes, those are rotary buffer marks that probably surfaced and became more noticeable after the wax and filler came off after a few washes.

That can be easily removed by going over the affected sections with a light polish and a dual action buffer or a porter cable polisher.

Hope this helps
A dual action buffer, or a skilled detailer with rotary experience can remove those. I see that often.
      07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
syednee
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012(535 GT, x5)

sorry to hear that !
wish your call well..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that seems to be exactly what happened.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
A dual action buffer, or a skilled detailer with rotary experience can remove those.
Thank you for your replies, Gentlemen!

So you're both saying this can be easily fixed!? If so:

Some questions:

Would a dual action buffer cut into the paint (clearcoat) more?

Would working a dual action buffer on the whole car rise to the level of "Paint Correction"?

What's the ball park estimate cost for a job like this?

And how much time might it take?

Much thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

To answer your questions:

1- Yes any kind of buffer action which removes swirls and imperfections is cutting into the clearcoat. However, the way a dual action buffer rotates minimizes the risk of damage to the car by an inexperienced detailer.

2- I would only use a Rotary buffer (circular rotation with more risk of burning through the paint) on vehicles with heavily scratched and damaged paint and only experienced detailers should be allowed to use a rotary buffer on your car. A dual action buffer (rotates and oscillates at the same time) is a much safer alternative and gets the job done just as well IMO. I won't say it is fool proof as to burning the paint but it definitely is much safer to use. Your new 7 series doesn't need more than a dual action polisher and it ABSOLUTELY rises to the level of "paint correction"

3- I honestly don't know how much shops are charging but I've heard of shops charging from $600 to a couple thousand for a complete paint correction job. I've done my car myself and it was a whole day ordeal from 9am to about 8 or 9pm at night. Some shops might keep your car for a couple of days.

Here is an example of the process:

http://www.luxury4play.com/detailing...flections.html

Hope this helps.

Lui
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your fantastic reply and link, Lui! Very much apprecaited!

Hope to report good results...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Considering having my car detailed (compounded) for the first time, but have some questions:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis)

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn't realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I'd receive an honest answer)

P.S.: I’d use a reputable local shop that’s been around for a long time and details all types of cars, high end exotics included.

Thanks!
You will only need to have your car compounded if the paintwork has deep scratches in it. If what you have are surface scratches or holograms you should go with a 2 stage polish and sometimes a single stage polish will do depending on the type of paint (hard or soft). Make sure the detailer you take it to REMOVES the imperfection and doesn't cover them up with a glaze or other fillers. Also, just because you see a detail shop that has done work on exotic and high end vehicles doesn't mean they are excellent at what they do. Unfortunately many of this car owners are not well educated when it comes down to a high quality detail. Check out their work first, ask them A LOT of questions and if they give you any kind of warranty on their work.

Compounding a vehicle will remove clear coat off the vehicle. If the detailer knows what he's doing, the removal will be minimum but if you give it to an inexperienced detailer, the damage could be pretty bad and it could cost you a lot of money to have it fixed.

Rule of thumb - If the price for the detail work seems too good. Keep shopping around. Shop based on quality, not on price
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A month after detailing I noticed these not previously present hologram marks throughout my car, most noticeable on the hood (just now had the time to take and post pictures).

Suffice to say, very upset, and the "detailer" didn't have the right attitude when I showed him; ended in argument (so don't want him trying to fix this either).

Any insight into whether or not this can be fixed, without continual / ongoing sealing / maintenance?
That is the typical work of the regular car wash guy that calls himself a professional detailer.

The buffer trails as we call them can be permanently and safely removed thru paint correction. It's a service that takes time but very rewarding when done properly. How long those it takes? well that'll depend on the type of paint (hard or soft) on your car and the severity of the damage, if the swirls where introduced with a polish or with a rubbing compound, those are things a professional detailer will have to figure out before tackling this correction. It could take 1-3 days and cost you depending on the fees in your area anywhere from $600 to $1200. If you find someone that charges you $300 to fix it.. RUN, they will just cover them up again.

Do yourself a favor and get educated about paint correction so that when you take your vehicle to get fix you can ask all the right questions.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Definitely helps, FIPAD, but my eyes are popping out of my head and my jaw is down to the ground. Upsetting. Thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely helps, FIPAD, but my eyes are popping out of my head and my jaw is down to the ground. Upsetting. Thanks though!
I don't blame you.
I noticed you are in NY. I don't know how far you are from NJ but there's a detailer there that I highly recommend to you. He's a REAL professional. Give him a call, he might be able to come to your residence.

Signature Detailing
Greg Gellas
Randolph, NJ
Phone: 973-886-1306
http://www.signaturedetailing.com/

-Pete
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI PETE View Post
I don't blame you.
I noticed you are in NY. I don't know how far you are from NJ but there's a detailer there that I highly recommend to you. He's a REAL professional. Give him a call, he might be able to come to your residence.

Signature Detailing
Greg Gellas
Randolph, NJ
Phone: 973-886-1306
http://www.signaturedetailing.com/

-Pete
Much thanks! Will let you know if I reach out to Greg!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
A dual action polisher with a fine finish polish would get that out.
      07-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
gsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo

dbs- Is the car being worked on now?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
A dual action polisher with a fine finish polish would get that out.
Maybe. It all depends on the products that were used. Polish or compound, did he use a foam pad or a wool pad?..There is no such thing as a "one product fits all" in the paint correction industry, If the swirls where introduced with a car wash guy (that was no detailer) using a polish with a foam pad, then those swirls are pretty superficial but if he used a polish with a wool pad (pretty sure that's what happened) or compound with a foam or wool pad then those swirls are a little deeper and requiere an entire different plan of attack.

Last edited by FI PETE; 07-28-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
dbs- Is the car being worked on now?
No, not yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis) Yes, polishing of ANY type will remove your clear coat. However, most polishes remove such a small layer (measured in microns) that you could literally polish every single month for years and years before the clear coat would become too thin. Think of Menzerna PO85RD for example, which is a finishing polish. However, heavy compounding polishes can go through your clear coat in a single pass. All depends on the polish, the pad used and the buffer speed.

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn’t realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I’d receive an honest answer) Compounding can leave hologram but it should always be followed up by using a finer abrasive. I see you have holograms in your paint now, which is not the end of the world. A fine polish will take that right out. But it's obvious your choice in detailers wasn't a good one. Especially when he's argueing with you about it afterwards.

Thanks!
(message was too short for some reason)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
MR_MoveOver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 750liX Individual

has anyone found a good detailer in NY?

also has anyone opti coat or ceramic coat there car? how much was it and did it make a big difference in protection
Appreciate 0