BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
kpeng
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport + E30 Super ETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I don't know about you, but that looks like a precision machine that can tear up the twisties and compete in some races.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #46
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
I don't know about you, but that looks like a precision machine that can tear up the twisties and compete in some races.
I can see where he is coming from regarding the Alpha chassis ATS V. It apparently drives very well. So does the new CTS V. But Cadillac still can't shake the stigma of old heads being the overwhelming majority of owners. That and, for the umpteenth time, the interior, with exception of the Recaro seats, absolutely sucks ass.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      10-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I can see where he is coming from regarding the Alpha chassis ATS V. It apparently drives very well. So does the new CTS V. But Cadillac still can't shake the stigma of old heads being the overwhelming majority of owners. That and, for the umpteenth time, the interior, with exception of the Recaro seats, absolutely sucks ass.
And there it is... "yeah, but the interior sucks" LOL

Every automotive publication has stated for the past 3 years now that the Cadillac ATS and CTS offer best in class handling that is better than BMW. Now even the recently introduced CT6 has been tested to be better handling than the new 7-series. My personal experience with the ATS found the same.

Non-M BMW's are no longer driver's cars, and the majority who own them buy them for the status symbol the Roundel earned as a real driver's car ("The Ultimate Driving Machine") from decades past.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      10-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #48
kpeng
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport + E30 Super ETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And there it is... "yeah, but the interior sucks" LOL

Every automotive publication has stated for the past 3 years now that the Cadillac ATS and CTS offer best in class handling that is better than BMW. Now even the recently introduced CT6 has been tested to be better handling than the new 7-series. My personal experience with the ATS found the same.

Non-M BMW's are no longer driver's cars, and the majority who own them buy them for the status symbol the Roundel earned as a real driver's car ("The Ultimate Driving Machine") from decades past.
So why do you have 2 BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
So why do you have 2 BMWs?
I have 3 actually and a fourth that was a '89 E30, which I owned for 18 years and 256,000 miles. Been a BMW owner since 1988 and been around them since the E21 came out and have a combined 760,000 miles of ownership on them. My E90 has 312,000 miles as of this week, and I'm on E90 post all over the place touting how great a car it is. I Love BMWs, but I call a spade a spade when I see one. The current Cadillacs simply drive better than the current BMWs, and if BMW wants to tout it's the Ultimate Driving Machine, then make cars that are (not just the M-division cars).

If you guys are still touting the stigma that Cadillacs are "an old man's car", or "drive like a boat", then you are either uninformed, or just BMW fanboys not will accept the fact that other manufacturers build very good cars too. And if all you can point to is the "interior sucks ass", then you've not been in a ATS, CTS, or CT6. The main purpose of a driver's car interior is to help the driver drive the car better (BMW used to advertise this point back in the 1970's and 1980's). The Cadillac interiors are more than adequate to assist in driving the car well.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-16-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #50
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's very easy to answer. If I said you could own 1 of those 3 companies and you would be able to pass it down to your family for generations to come, which one of the three would you pick ?

The answer should be obvious and that is the one with the best rank.
      10-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #51
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Well.... to be honest... right now it's definitely MB ...
THIS!

Mercedes AMG has been dominating F1 for the past 4 seasons while BMW’s second-rate Motorsport Division continues to sit on the sidelines…
      10-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #52
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Speaking of status and prestige this is how the German brands rank here in Dubai:

Porsche
Mercedes
BMW
Audi

This mostly has to do with halo cars and brand perception. Benz is an older and more respected brand with regular production models that easily cross $200k and a never-ending onslaught of halo models (SLR, SLS BS, G63 6X6) that cost from $300k all the way to $600k, and the upcoming AMG hypercar will cost even more! When it comes to status neither BMW or Audi can hold a candle to MB. The R8 is Audi's saving grace but even that barely touches $200k. BMWs and Audis are considered more "youthful" FWIW.
Appreciate 3
backagain345.00
M3ZING550.50
      10-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #53
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
It's very easy to answer. If I said you could own 1 of those 3 companies and you would be able to pass it down to your family for generations to come, which one of the three would you pick ?

The answer should be obvious and that is the one with the best rank.
I get it... late post, but when I read this two weeks ago I thought it was very insightful, but didn't have time to answer.

To answer, I'd go with Mercedes. It has the broadest model portfolio of the three: cars, SUV, and light and heavy duty trucks.

Good question.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #54
Dexter Morgan
Rep
Drives: 2015 C300 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Speaking of status and prestige this is how the German brands rank here in Dubai:

Porsche
Mercedes
BMW
Audi

This mostly has to do with halo cars and brand perception. Benz is an older and more respected brand with regular production models that easily cross $200k and a never-ending onslaught of halo models (SLR, SLS BS, G63 6X6) that cost from $300k all the way to $600k, and the upcoming AMG hypercar will cost even more! When it comes to status neither BMW or Audi can hold a candle to MB. The R8 is Audi's saving grace but even that barely touches $200k. BMWs and Audis are considered more "youthful" FWIW.
THIS! I couldn't have said it better myself. Even if one was to take out the 'halo' cars from consideration, MB still offers a much bigger 'high line' portfolio than BMW or Audi. You've got the entire Mercedes-AMG sub brand that has about as many models as the entire main line BMW or Audi cars. Then you've got the Mercedes-Maybach sub brand that will soon proliferate into SUV's (GLS Maybach), Coupes (Mercedes-Maybach 6 concept) etc.

Lastly, Audi shouldn't even be part of the conversation in this thread. Their sister-brand Porsche is a brand more on par with BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Considering the extensive parts sharing and likeness between most Audi's and VW's, I liken Audi to a tier 2 brand like Lexus, Acura, Infiniti etc rather than one that competes head-on in market perception with BMW or Mercedes-Benz.
Appreciate 0