BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Autosavant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD DI

Autosavant Exclusive: 2011 BMW Alpina B7 Full Review

We had an all-new 2011 BMW Alpina B7 in the Autosavant Garage last week, and to my knowledge, this is the first full review of the car to be published in the US.

So, I think I'm safe in calling this an exclusive. We're not the first outlet to drive the car, but Googling 2011 bmw alpina b7 review seems to give only news from the car's debut at the NY Auto Show this past April, or a few "first drive" pieces from Car and Driver and Automobile.

Link: Review: 2011 BMW Alpina B7

Quote:
Among the uninitiated, there is an impression that the Alpina B7 is simply an answer to the missing M7 in BMW’s lineup- and the short answer is “no.” BMW’s M vehicles tend to be cars heavily focused on performance, with that performance prioritized above comfort. The Alpina B7 provides the performance of an M vehicle, but with even more comfort and luxury than is typically available on a 7 Series sedan.
Quote:
On the road, stomping on the accelerator produces from a standstill produces a chirp from the rear tires (mitigated by the car’s stability control system), followed by the type of acceleration uncommon in nearly any passenger car. The acceleration is otherworldly, whether starting from a stop or already underway. Traveling at 30 MPH and floor it? You’re pushed back in the seat and past the legal limit in the blink of an eye. Huge brakes, borrowed from BMW’s armored 12-cylinder 760Li Protection, shed speed nearly as quickly as it had been gained. The thrill of such acceleration is addictive in such a way that I’m still suffering withdrawals.
Appreciate 0