BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #23
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Even a basic stingray? I've been looking at those. That being said, despite them being had for good prices brand new, a lot of the boards seem to turn on them for bad reliability. I don't think I've seen a turn around like that, perhaps only compared to the Hellcat's
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 11:51 PM   #24
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I have more creature comforts in my ZL1 than I had in my M3 (magnetic ride, ventilated seats, Android Auto, etc.) The M3 interior is better overall though, no denying that.

As far as the M4 hanging with the Z06? I used to say the M3 pulled like a train, which I guess it did, but this thing is on another level.
The cockpit feel of a Corvette is pretty sweet. I think my only issue is that the Vette's are 'loud' in look. The M3 and M4 seem a bit more subtle. I don't really see a lot of them around, despite living in a mostly wealthy area. Everything seems to be high end sedans.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrENDeatH View Post
Even a basic stingray? I've been looking at those. That being said, despite them being had for good prices brand new, a lot of the boards seem to turn on them for bad reliability. I don't think I've seen a turn around like that, perhaps only compared to the Hellcat's
Comparable in a straight line.

A a road course the stingray is faster. In the LL at VIR the Stingray was 7s faster than the M4.

Never use a forum to assess reliability. Not for any car.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #26
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I have more creature comforts in my ZL1 than I had in my M3 (magnetic ride, ventilated seats, Android Auto, etc.) The M3 interior is better overall though, no denying that.

As far as the M4 hanging with the Z06? I used to say the M3 pulled like a train, which I guess it did, but this thing is on another level.
I am glad you brought that up the creature comforts like ventilated seats. I think it is an crime that BMW doesn't offer ventilated seats in the M3 yet I can get them on a $40k Ford Mustang. It has gone from being a "European car curiosity" to deliberately aggravating.

The incessant nickel & diming of BMW owners for things like "lighting packages" and other such nonsense has to stop.

Sorry, wrong thread I know, but I just had to rant.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #27
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
A basic Stringray will destroy an M4. Not even comparable. One is a sports car, the other is a GT coupe. Which begs the question: why are guys who only need 2 seats buying M4s if they care so much about performance? A real head scratcher to me. The M3 with it's 4 doors is an entirely different story.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #28
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Quote:
A basic Stringray will destroy an M4. Not even comparable. One is a sports car, the other is a GT coupe. Which begs the question: why are guys who only need 2 seats buying M4s if they care so much about performance? A real head scratcher to me. The M3 with it's 4 doors is an entirely different story.
Because I don't have a mullet, Mr T gold chains, a hairy chest, and NASCAR T-shirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Because I don't have a mullet, Mr T gold chains, a hairy chest, and NASCAR T-shirts.
But you do wear a tie and bluetooth headset everywhere, and have no friends?

Last edited by Dethsupp0rt; 07-15-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      07-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #30
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Because I can fit my track wheels in the back seat and I don't have a trailer
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
Spike Spiegel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Imprezza, '19 Audi RS 3
Location: Currently dragging myself toward my masters degree.

Quote:
I am glad you brought that up the creature comforts like ventilated seats. I think it is an crime that BMW doesn't offer ventilated seats in the M3 yet I can get them on a $40k Ford Mustang. It has gone from being a "European car curiosity" to deliberately aggravating.

The incessant nickel & diming of BMW owners for things like "lighting packages" and other such nonsense has to stop.

Sorry, wrong thread I know, but I just had to rant.

As someone who just recently started looking into the M3, I couldn't believe that you have to get a package (or had to pay for it in general) to get a backup camera. Not to hate but I'm trying to figure out what other manufacturer doesn't include the camera as standard. Blind spot monitoring? Well alright, but a back up camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #32
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep

I saw a sharp stingray today...Definitely being considered...but I'm pretty done with American cars, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #33
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
How does the Vette hang with the M4? I've been looking. I think I'd rather take a CPO M4 still though for creature comforts.

I went from a M4 to an Z06. I just want to provide a one word answer to your question:

LOL

Also, Z06 with mad ride is more comfortable and red interior in the 2LZ package is just as luxurious. It even has cooled seats!

Only problem is that i can only go full throttle for like 2 seconds before i am doing 100mph. And thats including 0.5 seconds for the transmission to downshift.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #34
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake News 2017 View Post
Chevy will never figure out how to make an attractive interior
It sounds like you have not had a chance to view the interior in person. Check out a C7 with 2LZ package and red interior. It looks exotic.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #35
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
I went from a M4 to an Z06. I just want to provide a one word answer to your question:

LOL

Also, Z06 with mad ride is more comfortable and red interior in the 2LZ package is just as luxurious. It even has cooled seats!

Only problem is that i can only go full throttle for like 2 seconds before i am doing 100mph. And thats including 0.5 seconds for the transmission to downshift.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Z06 , I took a long test drive in one yesterday M7. I would grade the interior scale as a 7, my M3 as an 8.5 , and Porsche 991.2 as a 9.5. ... The performance of the Z06 is no doubt above the M3. I am just concerned about missing the overall utility of the M3 and getting tired of interior of Z06. I am also not crazy about 7 gates on the shifter, could see that being a liability & more of an Chance to money shift at the track
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #36
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Z06 , I took a long test drive in one yesterday M7. I would grade the interior scale as a 7, my M3 as an 8.5 , and Porsche 991.2 as a 9.5. ... The performance of the Z06 is no doubt above the M3. I am just concerned about missing the overall utility of the M3 and getting tired of interior of Z06. I am also not crazy about 7 gates on the shifter, could see that being a liability & more of an Chance to money shift at the track
You won't get tired of the interior. There are many features and the digital dash is fully customization. You can make the rpm gauge and info displayed any way you like. There will also be a performance video recorded that can record all your runs with an overlay. I am sure you will get used to the shifter.

Only issue i ran into was the utility. Or lack thereof. I definitely miss having 4 seats.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
I've owned countless BMWs including but not limited to an e36 M3, e46 M3, and two e92 M3s. I driven most everything they've made over the last 20 years... including the latest M3, M4, M5, M6, X5M, X6M etc etc etc.

I currently own a Z06.

By the numbers, I'm a BMW fanboy.

The Z06 is fun as nuts at 5/10ths. It's fun as nuts anywhere. The only downside on the street is the gearing is tall, so you don't get to do many red line shits (if you like having a license). On the other hand, it makes 480 ft-lbs at idle and the torque peak is just over 3k, so you don't have to rev it out to have a shit ton of fun.

On the track, the only car I've had as much fun in as my Z06 is an s2000.

Brand hate is a bit tired.
Ditto this guy 100%.

When you're behind the wheel of the Z06 you basically feel like superman. There just is no comparing anything else to it really. By far the best bang for buck out there in terms of a performance car that I've ever driven. It's almost scary on the street...just the way I like it.

I honestly know very few people that can really handle that car in its entirety even in a track setting. There's just no comparing it to any other offerings that do not cost 2-3x as much. Give me a Z06, a heated/cooled trailer, a HD 2500 and I'd still be saving money and going faster than pretty much everyone else out there. And the little hole behind the touchscreen is pretty nifty as well.

I do not think anyone can say German > American when it comes to true performance cars anymore; hopefully BMW surprises us.....but im also just as happy driving a 400whp 15k 1 series as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #38
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
You won't get tired of the interior. There are many features and the digital dash is fully customization. You can make the rpm gauge and info displayed any way you like. There will also be a performance video recorded that can record all your runs with an overlay. I am sure you will get used to the shifter.

Only issue i ran into was the utility. Or lack thereof. I definitely miss having 4 seats.
I'm just saying, I've fit 2 hockey bags and 2 sets of sticks in a Z06....as well as hauled 200 lbs of softening salt in the back. There is some utility there man.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There's a detent load in the 7/reverse gate. You have to really push it to get it into 7th (a little annoying on the street, but in race practice it's pretty great).
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #40
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
There's a detent load in the 7/reverse gate. You have to really push it to get it into 7th (a little annoying on the street, but in race practice it's pretty great).
Yep 7th is way to the right....My concern is money shifting in the somewhere 2-3-4-5 gears on track, they really should have done a 6 speed like the ZL1!

As for utility the Z06 offers some for sure, better than most, I do have 3yr old son, the wife has a 335i however, its still nice to all be able to curise as a fam in "Dads car" I'm just not sure if I want to give that up.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #41
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff View Post
I'm just saying, I've fit 2 hockey bags and 2 sets of sticks in a Z06....as well as hauled 200 lbs of softening salt in the back. There is some utility there man.
I definitely love the trunk space. I was able to fit 3 of the stock z06 wheels (2x19, 1x20 without tires) there. I am still amazed it was possible.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #42
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep 7th is way to the right....My concern is money shifting in the somewhere 2-3-4-5 gears on track, they really should have done a 6 speed like the ZL1!

As for utility the Z06 offers some for sure, better than most, I do have 3yr old son, the wife has a 335i however, its still nice to all be able to curise as a fam in "Dads car" I'm just not sure if I want to give that up.
Once you drive it, you will see its not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #43
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Notice how this car is leagues away in pricing from the competition... vettes are amazing, too bad everyone who drives them is a walnut.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #44
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

ZO6 is actually insanely fast. That's the third fastest lap time "Sport Auto" ever did on the Nurburgring behind the AMG GT R and Porsche 918. And all of that with a manual trans. !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0