BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
People should be held accountable for their actions. Exposure could deter further negligence.
Sorry, but working for chump change and “being held accountable” to the unrealistic degree some of you expect is just not feasible. Again, I’d be so on board if the techs did something like donuts or dangerous driving with the customer’s car. But it’s not THAT big of a deal.

You know doctors blast music and probably gossip about patients under anesthesia during surgery? Should they be held accountable for that?

Some cops I know use tax payer money to take 2-3 hour lunches. Is that a big deal too?

Like another reply mentioned, bring this up to the dealership manager if anything. Blasting it on YouTube and social media is a bit excessive and bad taste. Put yourself in a dealerships perspective (or any business that has many employees). Do you think itÂ’s fun to have a social backlash over a couple of your lower level employees being caught on camera for just getting ice cream in a customers car? This wouldnÂ’t make it on the local news because of how insignificant it is. Hell, if I were the dealership, IÂ’d look into legal action for having a camera in the car essentially spying on their employees. The owner of this car isnÂ’t entitled to run vigilante audits on this dealership, and then turn around and sully their reputation over something as minuscule as this.

Anyone saying they donÂ’t slack a tiny amount on the job is lying through their teeth. And if we ran witch hunts every time someone did something slightly unethical on the job, most of us would be unemployed.
Low pay isn't an excuse. Accountability has eroded and it's because we give people excuses to act inappropriately and it's one of the reasons low paying jobs are being outsourced to other countries. There is a cultural difference between the entitlement that is more and more ingrained in the American culture that is not present in other countries where even a low paying job is something to be grateful for and work hard at. Sorry, but I think the mindset you have presented doesn't do anyone any good. It really must be a cultural thing, I find this behavior inexcusable.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Low pay isn't an excuse. Accountability has eroded and it's because we give people excuses to act inappropriately and it's one of the reasons low paying jobs are being outsourced to other countries. There is a cultural difference between the entitlement that is more and more ingrained in the American culture that is not present in other countries where even a low paying job is something to be grateful for and work hard at. Sorry, but I think the mindset you have presented doesn't do anyone any good. It really must be a cultural thing, I find this behavior inexcusable.
Lol, and crucifying people over something like this is progressive thinking? Good luck with that.

And I find that ironic because I’m first generation American who’s no stranger to how other countries’ working class operates.

Low paying jobs are being outsourced for dollars and cents; because they’re taking advantage of people who would be happy to work for $5/hr versus local minimum wage and benefits. Which raises the question: why do we have to pay so much more for local employees? Simple, because cost of living is so much more here, yet all these companies aren’t going to increase salaries every time inflation or cost of living spikes. And guess what, employers have more of a stranglehold on those outsourced workers because they simply don’t have as many opportunities. Funny enough, a lot of those employees in other countries would kill to move to a country like the US to make barely enough money to get an apartment outside of their war torn or poverty stricken country.

This discussion blew out of proportion, my bottom line is this: I’m all for holding people accountable, but only when it’s actually worth it and the actions justify the means. I’m all for improving efficiency and integrity, but I believe this could have been handled better.

Hell, who knows. MAYBE the owner of the car brought this video to the attention of the dealership manager, they might have told him to get lost and further disrespected him/her, which now resulted in the video being posted on YouTube. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #25
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol, and crucifying people over something like this is progressive thinking? Good luck with that.
I think you are overreacting. No one is threatening anything against they people in this video directly. Their identities are protected, to the credit of the poster.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #26
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Low pay isn't an excuse.
Low pay isnt an excuse but it is a result.
People with proper mindset and that have a meticulose attitude to their work know that thats worth something, and it is in general a trait that is in demand by employers. Those people usually get the jobs, the type of work and the raises and carreer opportunities that go with that.
Those people dont do oil changes.
People who dont have that attitude or mindset, those are the ones that get the stupid jobs, and however you put it, changing oil is a stupid job. It takes a moron 11 minutes with a car lift like you see in the video. And then they get some icecream.
The chief mechanic who probably has a better attitude to his work and the customers, he doesnt do oil changes. He's working on the car that needs new camshafts or something.
If you bring your car to a garage that has a whole staff of mechanics (dealership), you know that the supidest, lowest one will do the oil service. Because its stupid work.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #27
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Looks like standard work fuckery. Don’t really agree with the car being used to get ice cream, though. Are they driving it to get ice cream to also make sure everything is running fine?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

The low pay excuse is bull shit.

You get paid a low wage because you're not a decent enough human to pull yourself out of the shit.

I've known and worked with many techs (specifically at MBZ) who get paid 100k+. But they were real techs, not these oil change morons.

Some of you act high and mighty but when your car gets trashed at a dealer I guarantee you'll sing a different story.
      03-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post

You get paid a low wage because you're not a decent enough human to pull yourself out of the shit.

I've known and worked with many techs (specifically at MBZ) who get paid 100k+. But they were real techs, not these oil change morons.

Some of you act high and mighty but when your car gets trashed at a dealer I guarantee you'll sing a different story.
And the shop foreman could easily lose his job over this because now anyone who has had their car serviced there or who was declined warranty work or paid for repair work has proof the dealership acts irresponsible.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #30
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Y’all are acting like they killed someone.

They went and got ice cream, big deal. Not like they were doing donuts in the customers car.

Pitchfork mentality nowadays is ridiculous. #metoo
WTF? You wanna go get a snack? Take your own wheels. You do not take a customer car. This is part of why I take a pic of the odometer when I drop my shit off.

So what dash cams are out there that these types of clowns cannot turn off? I should finally buy one
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
This is part of why I take a pic of the odometer when I drop my shit off.
Get food: no
But taking a car for a test drive after having work done is considered good practice. Even after an oil change or filters change.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Sorry, but working for chump change and “being held accountable” to the unrealistic degree some of you expect is just not feasible. Again, I’d be so on board if the techs did something like donuts or dangerous driving with the customer’s car. But it’s not THAT big of a deal.

You know doctors blast music and probably gossip about patients under anesthesia during surgery? Should they be held accountable for that?

Some cops I know use tax payer money to take 2-3 hour lunches. Is that a big deal too?

Like another reply mentioned, bring this up to the dealership manager if anything. Blasting it on YouTube and social media is a bit excessive and bad taste. Put yourself in a dealerships perspective (or any business that has many employees). Do you think it’s fun to have a social backlash over a couple of your lower level employees being caught on camera for just getting ice cream in a customers car? This wouldn’t make it on the local news because of how insignificant it is. Hell, if I were the dealership, I’d look into legal action for having a camera in the car essentially spying on their employees. The owner of this car isn’t entitled to run vigilante audits on this dealership, and then turn around and sully their reputation over something as minuscule as this.

Anyone saying they don’t slack a tiny amount on the job is lying through their teeth. And if we ran witch hunts every time someone did something slightly unethical on the job, most of us would be unemployed.
Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #33
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Very well said.
They charged him $700 for a transmission service never done. And that’s after the service advisor flagged the car for customer parts in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
They charged him $700 for a transmission service never done. And that’s after the service advisor flagged the car for customer parts in trunk.
THAT is a legitimate issue, and I don’t blame the owner for being upset about that. I assumed the service was eventually done with the parts provided.

My points were only focused on the ice cream trip, which I still don’t think is a big deal
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4655.00
      03-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #35
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

Quote:

Lol ok, let’s all just be doctors and lawyers then. So easy, it would just solve all our problems
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #36
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Regardless, I don't see the need for the public shaming. Take it up with the dealership and move on. This all falls into the #metoo mindset. Every little slight doesn't require world war III social media retribution. When ever I have an issue with the service dept. or warranty issue etc I simply talk to the service manager or person in charge and 9 times out of 10 the issue gets resolved without a public shaming.

I guess it would never occur to me to post a youtube video to solve my problem. I deal with them like a grown up and fight my own battles.....

Lets take this public shaming to one of its possible outcomes. The dealership loses business because of this rather than allowing the dealership to address a minor issue with staff. My hole issue with the social media SJW outrage approach is that its all or nothing. Fire them, burn them at the stake etc. I hope none of you find yourself video taped doing something that gets you shit canned or your employer put in a position where several livelihoods are effected because of a momentary lapse in judgement.....who wants to cast the first stone?

Last edited by RABAUKE; 03-24-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      03-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #37
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Quote:

Lol ok, letÂ’s all just be doctors and lawyers then. So easy, it would just solve all our problems
It's not about money. It's about respect.
jmg18649.50
GeorgeA756.50
      03-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #38
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would be pissed off too. They charge crazy labor rates at dealerships and the justification is that the car is being handled correctly and cared for. If they are not even reading the work order, might as well take it to a random mechanic shop. People pay dealer rates for quality service and getting ice cream in a customer's car isn't that. If the employees want ice cream, let them use their own car, not mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #39
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep

Again, you get what you pay for. People have known for literally decades that taking your car to a dealership doesn’t mean your car is getting pampered with the best treatment. This isn’t a surprise to me at all.

Go to a high end reputable shop instead. Those guys compete for your continued business and loyalty, and will do whatever they can to treat you right. Their business depends on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm amazed some of you are making excuses for this. You can't be f*kkin around with a customer's car.
Appreciate 1
jmg18649.50
      03-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
#1 music is played in the OR to help surgeons focus and pass the time.

#2 there are strict policies against talking shyt abt patients under anesthesia.
Appreciate 1
jmg18649.50
      03-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #42
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Again, you get what you pay for. People have known for literally decades that taking your car to a dealership doesn’t mean your car is getting pampered with the best treatment.
Exactly.
You're paying for the nice building, location, expensive coffee machine for the customers, advertizing and foremost the pockets of the franchice holder.

Working on cars is peoples work. Paying more doesnt automatically mean better work is done. It means more profit is made.

If you want a better chance on good treatment, go to a place where there is a solid connection between the person who does the work and the amount of profit made. Thats when people start to care about the car and the work.

Then you might find a place like this (this is my favorite MBenz video...)

A good example why someone with a 250k car didnt bring it to the stealership.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #43
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Take it up with the dealership if you have an issue. Posting a video on line is looking to accomplish what exactly?
Accountability.

Reading the posts of apologists is really amazing. The owner of this car was cheated, his car was used to run an errand and buy ice cream, and people are defending the techs for their fraud and misconduct. I find that both astounding and depressing.

The techs should be fired and the customer should be refunded whatever he paid. If not, the dealership should lose its franchise. I'd like to know what happened.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      04-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #44
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Accountability.

Reading the posts of apologists is really amazing. The owner of this car was cheated, his car was used to run an errand and buy ice cream, and people are defending the techs for their fraud and misconduct. I find that both astounding and depressing.

The techs should be fired and the customer should be refunded whatever he paid. If not, the dealership should lose its franchise. I'd like to know what happened.
I don't know about firing them for taking the car to get ice cream or a coffee for that matter as I gather it's pretty standard practice....but my point is really that I don't see the need for the Youtube public shaming.....take your beef to the service manager, if you don't get satisfaction then the GM and if that doesn't work then escalate farther, why do we need to whip up public outrage for every little frustration life throws us?
Appreciate 0