BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #45
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Yes to the new tire regs! I knew they would come into play this weekend. Williams gambled wrong with the mediums and they sure paid the price. A huge thumbs up to Haas though! 5th place running a very aggressive tire strategy and no red flag this time to give them a chance to show their true pace. I have to admit my heart sank when Vettle had his engine failure on the warm-up lap -- I was hoping for a better battle at the front.

Also, huge kudos to all the young drivers especially Van Doorne and Werhlein. They're bringing such great talent to F1.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #46
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The new quali system is just fine but not perfect.
Nearly every post here says otherwise, but you seem hell-bent on ignoring the reality, that cars simply don't have time to pit and return to the track, resulting in less cars on track and favoring top teams. It's like you're a paid spokesman for the new format.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #47
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
On What Channel Was The @#$#@!@#$%^ Race?!?!? Two Races In A Row My Shi% Didn't Get Recorded!!! I Have Some Stupid Spanish Broadcast In My Dvr!!!!!

I Am So Pissed I'm Shaking. Two Races In A Row!!!!!!!
I think the race itself was on NBCSN, but qualy was live on CNBC. It's quite frustrating. It could be on any of about 5 different channels, seemingly without notice. You'd think that a 3rd-rate channel like NBCSN could give priority to the world's #1 spectator sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #48
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Nearly every post here says otherwise, but you seem hell-bent on ignoring the reality, that cars simply don't have time to pit and return to the track, resulting in less cars on track and favoring top teams. It's like you're a paid spokesman for the new format.
I like the new format better. As for Kvyat he admitted that he did not have the speed and his Q2 exit was not due to not having sufficient opportunity. I hope they keep it. And I don't want those checks from BE to stop coming
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #49
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
So the new quali format was just fine today. All teams has now understood it and cars qualified much according to ability. The two exceptions was Ericsson who choose to hang out in the pit in Q1 while being far down the list and got caught out. Solely a team mistake and not a rule issue. The other exception was the Toro Rosso guys in Q2 that elected to not attempt getting into Q3 and rather stayed just behind the threshold allowing them to select tires freely for the race.

Ferrari looks able to give Benz some hell again this year. Hopefully it lasts longer than last year.
Someone Bernie pls.
Ferrari now officially has engine problems, I feel sorry for Seb, I was hopping he will score
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #50
solstice
Major General
Rep

From reports it sounds like FIA has drugged their heels in and there is no going back to the old quali format and that's that. It does look like we can get yet another format, this time with aggregate times. Bring it! Maybe that's the way to keep it interesting through all sessions, change it up every other race or so . Again the idea is to stop pit sitting until the last minutes. Cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #51
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
There is actually less drama with the new system. Nearly 1/3 of drivers in Q2 are eliminated after 1 attempt, not having enough time to get fresh tires and set fuel for a second attempt to move up the board.

As far as the top of the field, nothing has changed. Mercedes is still top dog in quali with Ferrari lagging behind by over .5 sec.

Really sad actually. Instead of talking about how great the new tire regs are and what it has done to the racing. All everyone is focusing on is politics.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #52
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again the idea is to stop pit sitting until the last minutes. Cool.
In exchange for dead sessions as clock runs out. Great trade off. Q3 at Brahrain was over with 3min still on the clock. Also drivers choosing not even to go out. So we still have pit sitting.

The only way to make this work is extend Q2 and Q3 by 5 mins. Or close the pits each session, send each car out with full fuel and hard tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #53
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Vettel's response to aggregate qualifying.

Quote:
"It's time to go to the circus. It's a sh*t idea."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #54
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
In exchange for dead sessions as clock runs out. Great trade off. Q3 at Brahrain was over with 3min still on the clock. Also drivers choosing not even to go out. So we still have pit sitting.

The only way to make this work is extend Q2 and Q3 by 5 mins. Or close the pits each session, send each car out with full fuel and hard tires.
I think FIA should handover control to Internet Jockeys since they obviously know nothing about Formula 1
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #55
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think FIA should handover control to Internet Jockeys since they obviously know nothing about Formula 1
No they should just listen to the drivers and ex-drivers, team owners, team/race managers, media, etc...

They all hate it. Not just the majority of the viewing public.

The FIA is getting roasted by the media, they are a complete embarrassment at the moment. Without the qualifying system disaster, they could be looking like geniuses because the new tire regs are fantastic.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 04-04-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #56
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
No they should just listen to the drivers and ex-drivers, team owners, team/race managers, media, etc...

They all hate it. Not just the majority of the viewing public.

The FIA is getting roasted by the media, they are a complete embarrassment at the moment. Without the qualifying system disaster, they could be looking like geniuses because the new tire regs are fantastic.
They did an all agreed upon it before the season started. Then ran it once and did not immediately adapt and some were caught out. Teams are not foreign to blame mistakes or poor performance on rules. They ran it twice and it was a lot better. Still once a position is taken there's pride and group thinking in play. That and this is likely the biggest whining generation of all time.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #57
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

What they need I qually tires.
Part of the issue with teams not going out is saving tires.

The new system could work with tires.

....just don't adopt the v2 of new system with agrogate times.
Qually should be about who can put in an amazing hot lap.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #58
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
What they need I qually tires.
Part of the issue with teams not going out is saving tires.

The new system could work with tires.
Q2 and Q3 need more time added as well, especially Q2. In Q2 the drivers in 12-15 after their first flying lap don't have enough time to come in for fresh tires. So some say they should just do second lap on used tires. But that is pointless when the cars further up the grid have time to put on fresh tires for a second run. Therefore making it impossible to move out of the elimination zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
....just don't adopt the v2 of new system with agrogate times.
Qually should be about who can put in an amazing hot lap.
Jenson made a great point about aggregate qualifying would provide less of a chance of mixing the grid up. He says the teams will set up the car more conservatively for a 2 lap run. Also the drivers will have to drive at 95% to conserve tires and the energy recovery system. Therefore the drivers will just be along for the ride, not pushing 100%. Basically eliminating possibilities of driver mistakes and mixing the grid up.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 04-05-2016 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #59
solstice
Major General
Rep

Personally I think "mixing up the grid" as in getting slower packages ahead of faster is bs. I like the idea of a better system where it's not up to one last lap before the session is over as it was pretty much every quali of the old system. One mistake or blockage by another car or weather change and the faster package was out.

If they want to mixup the grid the best way is to cancel quali and just run a reversed grid from the race results in the last race from for say the 5 top spots.

It's funny to hear the whining, ooh and aah no cars left on the track the last minutes. They act like the old system had the fast cars out all through the sessions when it was often close to a deserted place the first half of each session.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #60
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
On What Channel Was The @#$#@!@#$%^ Race?!?!? Two Races In A Row My Shi% Didn't Get Recorded!!! I Have Some Stupid Spanish Broadcast In My Dvr!!!!!

I Am So Pissed I'm Shaking. Two Races In A Row!!!!!!!
SkySport
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #61
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Yes to the new tire regs! I knew they would come into play this weekend. Williams gambled wrong with the mediums and they sure paid the price. A huge thumbs up to Haas though! 5th place running a very aggressive tire strategy and no red flag this time to give them a chance to show their true pace. I have to admit my heart sank when Vettle had his engine failure on the warm-up lap -- I was hoping for a better battle at the front.

Also, huge kudos to all the young drivers especially Van Doorne and Werhlein. They're bringing such great talent to F1.
Cant agree more
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #62
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Qualy format returns to 2015 format starting in Chinese GP

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...o_2015_format/
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #63
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thank goodness they didn't go to that agrogate system.

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #64
solstice
Major General
Rep

Back to watching drivers watching screens in the pit for 30 minutes...oh well thank god for the DVRs
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #65
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Finally get to see how the cars truly stack up to one another. Without this silly elimination sh*t getting in the way.

The teams stood their ground and made the FIA fold like a lawn chair.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #66
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Back to watching drivers watching screens in the pit for 30 minutes...oh well thank god for the DVRs
None of the qualy rounds are even remotely close to that length.
Appreciate 0