BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Additional Range Indicator Question

What does the little circle / dot in the additional range indicator mean? It's only present when a destination is programed into the navigation system, but I cannot make heads or tails of it as the designation programed would not leave me with such little of range left upon arrival. And yes, my car continues to get terrible mpg's, for what reason I don't know...
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 12-14-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

That little dot shows how much of your total gas you will be using up during the trip programmed into your navigation system. Or in other words, the distance left to go on your currently programmed trip will use the amount of gas between the '0' and the dot. It's actually quite neat and very helpful. The dot will move closer to the '0' mark the closer you get to your destination.

Also, judging by the picture you posted, you disabled the HUD?

The navigation only shows up in that part of my dashboard when I disable the HUD...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

It's confusing! The circle / dot should be from the top of the indicator, not the bottom of it - so you can see how much you use from your current remaining range and how much you will be left with when done! Then the circle / dot would not need to even move and all that would move is your remaining range, circle / dot moving depending only upon mpg's experienced. The current setup has next to no meaning. Otherwise, I do not have HUD...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't find it confusing at all. I figured this out the first time I programmed a new destination into the navigation system. I thought it was easy to understand and works quite well. I can see your point but then again every body has their own preferences and ways they think things should work...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Well, the 200 marker is static.

So, using your method we would have a problem anytime the gas mpg exceeded 400 since the mark would not fit on the scale.

Next, don't worry about gas milage. It will get better. But, it might take 20,000 miles before you see it.

The turbo is a double edged sword. It saves u gass if u drive like a granny and it slurps gas like a hummer if u drive like a gangsta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
It's confusing! The circle / dot should be from the top of the indicator, not the bottom of it - so you can see how much you use from your current remaining range and how much you will be left with when done! Then the circle / dot would not need to even move and all that would move is your remaining range, circle / dot moving depending only upon mpg's experienced. The current setup has next to no meaning. Otherwise, I do not have HUD...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you for your replies gentlemen. Seems to be a matter of seeing something half empty or half full; both being equal.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I don't find it confusing at all. I figured this out the first time I programmed a new destination into the navigation system. I thought it was easy to understand and works quite well. I can see your point but then again every body has their own preferences and ways they think things should work...
Agreed... I figured this one out too, while driving in Europe and found it very useful -- especially since I used the Nav to get me from one destination to the next (Munich to Schwangau to Zurich to Cernobbio to Milan to Monte Carlo to Geneva to Frankfurt).

What I really find interesting in dbs' post is the proximity of his turn-by-turn graphics in the dash. I leave my HUD on permanently, so I had no idea the directions also appear on the dash like that. Gonna switch off the HUD when driving home for the holidays to see that in action.

That's what I really LOVE about you guys -- I'm always being exposed to something new

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

@TheBry: If you turn the HUD off, the navigation instructions appear in the dashboard LCD as seen in dbs600's picture above. I always leave my HUD on as well. I found out about the dashboard navigation display on my car after one of my maintenance appointments, they always turn off the HUD, headlights, lane departure warning, blind spot monitor, early collision warning, etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Hi all, Hope all is well! When do the horizontal bars designated with the Red arrow come into play? How about the inner lines designated with the Green arrow? And the circle designated with the Blue arrow? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Hi all, Hope all is well! When do the horizontal bars designated with the Red arrow come into play? How about the inner lines designated with the Green arrow? And the circle designated with the Blue arrow? Thanks!
The horizontal lines are illuminated when you have the Active Cruise Control engaged. I have that option on my car. The horizontal lines indicate distance you'd like your car to maintain from the car in front of you. There are buttons on the steering wheel that are used to increase or decrease following distance.

The inner lines (green arrow) simply indicate lines in the road. They're active (as yours are in the pic) when the Lane Departure Warning feature is active. The triangles to either side of the lanes are illuminated when the cameras have a good "fix" on the lanes to either side of the car.

Not sure what the circle indicates. I've often wondered that myself -- couldn't find anything in the manual last time I looked.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0