BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Gorf
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, 2011 750Li

Help with 2011 750Li vs 2012 750i

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum but not new to BMW.

Im in need of some help, I have 2 options at my local dealership: a 2011 750Li or a 2012 750i

I am super clueless when it comes to the 7 series and i am trying to figure out what ones have what packages.

the 2011 has a different front and rear bumper. The rear has the smaller red lights higher up than on the 2012. Is this because of the 2012 facelift or a package? Also the front bumper looks like it was designed to produce a little more downforce than on the 2012. It also does not have the foglights that the 2012 has.

The front on the 2011 is lower to the ground as well. The car is also sitting on much wider ///M wheels with Perrelli P Zero tyres. The 2011 also has all of the chrome blacked out. Is that shadowline?

From looking at them it seems like the 2011 has a sport package although both has the same steering wheels and interiors...

I am unsure what to buy. I like the rear of the 2012 but I like everything else about the 2011, except for the missing fog lights (theyre not a big deal)

I didnt drive or turn on either so i dont know if the 2011 has L.E.D ring lights but i can also change them after.

I'd like to know what your guys opinions are on the 2 cars. I heard the 2012's if made after july have 3D navigation and a couple other changes. along with ~5 more horsepower but i can seem to find much solid information.

The guys at the dealership are not much help.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

Hi Gorf,

It sounds like the difference between the two is the M-Sport package. The 2011 probably has the sport package while the 2012 probably doesn't. When you ask if all the chrome being blacked out is part of the shadowline package you are partly correct. The 7 series had a number of chrome bits and the shadowline changes them over to shiny black instead, however if all the machine has had all the chrome bits covered in black, for example the kidney grills, that means that the previous owner did that. Personally speaking that means that the person that owned the car before you did some modifications to the machine. I haven't a clue if they were simply cosmetic mods or if that previous owner put in performance mods or not.

The N63 engine which sits in both of those cars is fairly easily modded with a software update for more power. If I were a gambling man, I'd be betting the 2011 probably had a software tune and is making more power. I rather expect that this would cause the machine to be around as fast at the 2012 because the 2012 is a smaller car. If you are ok with the previous owner doing mods and you are happy with them I would think the 2011 would be the better car for you. The machine is the long wheel base which is a big plus for me and the M sport package is really nice.

I believe the tail lights differences are part of the different sport / luxury kits between the two cars. I might be wrong here because they might have changed the light location in the 2011-2012s but they are both relatively rare and I haven't seen enough to be able to tell the difference.

The big trick was in 2013 BMW came out with the LCI update which gave the LED lighting package making the headlamps nice whiteish blue tinged vs the yellowish tinge of the 2009-2012s. If the 2011 has whiteish blue led rings then that means the machine has been modded for sure and I would suggest looking at other modded things like perhaps suspension or engine mods that may be not safe or not to your liking.

A big thing to check for both is the machines have had a Customer Care Package issued to them mandating a pile of work done on the engine. I would suggest making sure that that work has been done before buying one or the other.

Good luck with the decision!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
Gorf
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, 2011 750Li

Thanks frieseke!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Click this link. It'll tell you every option both cars came with from the factory:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Appreciate 0