BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
My wife just quit her job on Monday to go full steam ahead into a business we started together. Her dream is the business and mine is to own my own business. We have the support of some huge venues and have created a fantastic vendor network over the past several months. We have two mentors guiding us and so far it has been a fantastic experience. Sacrifice, well... we are moving in with my parents to use my money towards advertising.

Point is, make your own future... Pursue your dream while you are young. You have posted several threads about not knowing what you want. What I have learned is that sometimes we do know we are passionate about, just don't know how to make money from it. We are 25 and 24 years old and if we fail... well, she goes back to her own job. But we at least know we tried.

In reality, failure isn't an option and never has been for either of us. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I look back on my life and say... I could've done more.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I even asked to be trained on more things so I could do more and didn't get the support. So I'm in a job that I'm bored with and no growth. Been doing a lot of looking at self hoping to find something. It comes down to: do I trust my gut, quit, and trust that things will work out or do I keep waiting and hoping that something would turn up...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #46
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I even asked to be trained on more things so I could do more and didn't get the support. So I'm in a job that I'm bored with and no growth. Been doing a lot of looking at self hoping to find something. It comes down to: do I trust my gut, quit, and trust that things will work out or do I keep waiting and hoping that something would turn up...
My opinion... trust your gut and carve your own path. My job sounds exactly the same but building this business with my wife is a dream come true.

Find something your passionate about and go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #47
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
that's not true
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
This is a joke right?
Quote:
Agree. IMO Germany places high importance on education. They have placement programs for their citizens ensuring they will have johs when they are done with school. Also, Germany now offers free college for its citizens. That means anyone can go instead of like the US where many choose not to go because it is too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
i know for a fact france places big importance on education and it seems like they share many values with germany
Whoa. Maybe things have changed. But when I lived there (late 80's/early 90's) kids were chosen fairly early on to go on to a university or into the trades. I worked at UPS, which was a decent paying job, and had no advanced education at the time. Neither did any of the other drivers or supervisors. I suppose with the influx of eastern Europeans and the move to the Euro things have changed. My apologies if my experiences are now passe.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #48
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've seen several threads and posts from you about how you are unhappy with your present situation. At what point is enough enough???

It sounds like you are doing to much thinking and not enough doing. Its plenty fine to analyze a situation and best prepare yourself but the longer you wait, the harder it becomes to take that step.

For example, you wanted to hit up your contact about financial advising but someone here said they had a bad experience. WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!?!? Are you that person... NO! Make the phone call and see where it takes you. Your own worst enemy is yourself. At some point you need to stop listening to the horror stories, stop getting everyones opinion and just do you.

Best of luck man, i've been in your situation (still kind of am) and I kow that my fault is that I analyze things to the smallest detail and it keeps me from making a move. My wife on the other hand is a step first, look later type of person. We balance eachother out. You just have to make that step. Make that phone call. Send your resume. Take that class... Whatever it may be
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #49
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have quit without having a plan as well... it worked out very well for me even though many thought i was crazy. Granted, I didnt burn any bridges whatsoever as it was with fore warning... not long after I found a job that was diffefent enough for me to like with a 50% pay raise in a better area for me. Would I quit again without a plan? The answer is no... but risks are often times worth it, I may be in the same position again soon but this time I'll have an actual solid plan.
      03-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #50
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I can tell you from the hiring standpoint you're usually better off showing a continuous string of jobs on your resume rather than having to explain a gap. Especially when you tell the interviewer(s) that gap was because you left a job voluntarily without a good reason (like going back to school or something).

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #51
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I can tell you from the hiring standpoint you're usually better off showing a continuous string of jobs on your resume rather than having to explain a gap. Especially when you tell the interviewer(s) that gap was because you left a job voluntarily without a good reason (like going back to school or something).
Super easy to BS your way through... These days if you don't BS your way through a lot, you wont find a job at all... unless you personally know the owner of the company.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #52
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've seen several threads and posts from you about how you are unhappy with your present situation. At what point is enough enough???

It sounds like you are doing to much thinking and not enough doing. Its plenty fine to analyze a situation and best prepare yourself but the longer you wait, the harder it becomes to take that step.

For example, you wanted to hit up your contact about financial advising but someone here said they had a bad experience. WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!?!? Are you that person... NO! Make the phone call and see where it takes you. Your own worst enemy is yourself. At some point you need to stop listening to the horror stories, stop getting everyones opinion and just do you.

Best of luck man, i've been in your situation (still kind of am) and I kow that my fault is that I analyze things to the smallest detail and it keeps me from making a move. My wife on the other hand is a step first, look later type of person. We balance eachother out. You just have to make that step. Make that phone call. Send your resume. Take that class... Whatever it may be
Already made the call and sent my resume in.
I was getting opinions but you're right that that itself won't stop me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #53
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Super easy to BS your way through... These days if you don't BS your way through a lot, you wont find a job at all... unless you personally know the owner of the company.
If you say so. When I see a resume with a gap (and I'm talking about months or more), then I wonder why. Of course the further back in your past the gap is, the less it matters. And you can always fudge the dates to cover gaps, I guess, and hope no one checks. But if I see gaps and short duration jobs, I question whether the prospective employee will stick around if I hire him/her.

And I've never had to BS my way into a job. I've always been able to let my experience and references speak for me. I don't know that I'd want a job that I had to BS to get. What happens when the rubber hits the road and you can't produce what you claimed? Maybe things are different in the financial world, but in IT incompetence becomes apparent pretty quickly. (Not that there aren't incompetent IT people out there.)

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 03-11-2015 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #54
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Already made the call and sent my resume in.
I was getting opinions but you're right that that itself won't stop me.
Congrats on taking that step!!! Best of luck with it man.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #55
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
If you say so. When I see a resume with a gap (and I'm talking about months or more), then I wonder why. Of course the further back in your past the gap is, the less it matters. And you can always fudge the dates to cover gaps, I guess, and hope no one checks. But if I see gaps and short duration jobs, I question whether the prospective employee will stick around if I hire him/her.

And I've never had to BS my way into a job. I've always been able to let my experience and references speak for me. I don't know that I'd want a job that I had to BS to get. What happens when the rubber hits the road and you can't produce what you claimed? Maybe things are different in the financial world, but in IT incompetence becomes apparent pretty quickly. (Not that there aren't incompetent IT people out there.)
I am thinking that you are an older individual that grew up in a different time and doesn't understand the unfortunate realities of today's working world especially for younger less experienced individuals. Trying to cover a gap is completely different than not having experience in a particular field... even if you dont have the experience, you are at least given a chance to prove yourself which unfortunately these days due to the state of the economy and the devaulation of education not many exist and you have to grasp at anything you are given an opportunity at.
      03-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #56
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Once your company is getting more out of you than you are out of it, and there's clearly no light visible at the end of the tunnel (not a temporary storm which ALL careers have), then you have to ask yourself, do I need to keep doing this?

I'd say, it's OK to quit without another job (IF you've done the math and can afford it for a while), but it not OK to quit without a plan. A plan could be going back to skool, or starting your own business, or travelling the world, or something other than just sitting at home, watching TV and drinking beer.

If someone left to do nothing, that would be a big red flag for me as a prospective employer, compared to someone who quit to try something different in life. Especially if they can show that they didnt just bail at the first sign of adversity, but instead showed some tenacity, and endured some harshness for a while before finally, reluctantly pulling the plug.

If today was the first time you really seriously thought about quitting, then it's too early to pull the plug yet.

Good luck !
      03-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #57
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am thinking that you are an older individual that grew up in a different time and doesn't understand the unfortunate realities of today's working world especially for younger less experienced individuals. Trying to cover a gap is completely different than not having experience in a particular field... even if you dont have the experience, you are at least given a chance to prove yourself which unfortunately these days due to the state of the economy and the devaulation of education not many exist and you have to grasp at anything you are given an opportunity at.
You are correct in your thinking. I've also always been in technical fields (environmental engineering or IT) where it was easier to smell BS. I've had four jobs in 20 years and left two of them to follow my wife (she makes way more than I, so I go where she goes).

I've never held a gap in employment against someone if they were downsized or had to leave for a good reason. And I love giving new grads a chance to prove themselves. As long as they can show they have the basic knowledge and ability to learn.

I agree with your point about the devaluation of education. That's a real problem in this country where we like to push people through the mill just so they can flash a diploma. Lots of paper tigers out there these days. That's a problem more for new job seekers than anyone else. Like you say, it just makes it harder to get your foot in the door.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #58
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Once your company is getting more out of you than you are out of it, and there's clearly no light visible at the end of the tunnel (not a temporary storm which ALL careers have), then you have to ask yourself, do I need to keep doing this?

I'd say, it's OK to quit without another job (IF you've done the math and can afford it for a while), but it not OK to quit without a plan. A plan could be going back to skool, or starting your own business, or travelling the world, or something other than just sitting at home, watching TV and drinking beer.

If someone left to do nothing, that would be a big red flag for me as a prospective employer, compared to someone who quit to try something different in life. Especially if they can show that they didnt just bail at the first sign of adversity, but instead showed some tenacity, and endured some harshness for a while before finally, reluctantly pulling the plug.

If today was the first time you really seriously thought about quitting, then it's too early to pull the plug yet.

Good luck !
I would like to travel. I requested a month off but it seems like my manager was reluctant to grant it (2 weeks would be without pay). There's more to it but I don't want to go into it. I honestly have no idea what I want to do next. I am reading books and researching though. All I know right now is that this is not a good fit for me.

I applied for different positions at work. One of them was cancelled, I didn't get one of them, and the other one is up in the air (no set date when they will fill it). I have thought about a change for a while. I couldn't do anything since I was covering for someone on personal leave so I didn't want to leave. She's recently quit and I feel that I shouldn't let anything hold me back. I can afford to go 6 months to maybe a year without working (unless I spend it all on travelling the world).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #59
drewster99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 SERIES

I bought my first house 6 months ago, came home with my 135 two weeks ago, and I might get layed off tomorrow. I'll take your job if you don't want it lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #60
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac
No matter how bad....never burn a bridge.

Nor should you ever quit without having something else.
Words of wisdom!
I read the news today and one guy had a court judgement against him by his employer for quitting his job as his employer suffered financially and had to fly a replacement in to finish what he didn't....so make sure you know your legal obligations before just saying fu&k it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #61
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewster99 View Post
I bought my first house 6 months ago, came home with my 135 two weeks ago, and I might get layed off tomorrow. I'll take your job if you don't want it lol.
And then you will pass it on to someone else in a few months. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Words of wisdom!
I read the news today and one guy had a court judgement against him by his employer for quitting his job as his employer suffered financially and had to fly a replacement in to finish what he didn't....so make sure you know your legal obligations before just saying fu&k it.
Definitely not my type of job. What I do is important but they can always rotate someone in. In fact, I'm going to make another push to learn new things while searching for other positions (in and outside of the company).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #62
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Ever feel like just saying "screw it" and walk out the door? Well, that was how I felt today. I'm bored, unchallenged, and just bored. After watching a short video on TedX about "following your gut," I had the urge to call it quit. I try not to make hasty decisions so I didn't. But really it's just a matter of time...

Has anyone done that? Just quit on the spot? I prefer to give the two week notice but almost walked out the door today. Hehe
In college, I vaguely remember just not showing up to Boston Market after a couple weeks on the job. It was a crappy move but it was the worst job I ever had. I was the "kid" in the back washing the raw chickens, coworkers were mean, management was mean, and the 'move up' to Cashier was like a year out, hah. I really didn't care about much in college
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #63
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
My wife just quit her job on Monday to go full steam ahead into a business we started together. Her dream is the business and mine is to own my own business. We have the support of some huge venues and have created a fantastic vendor network over the past several months. We have two mentors guiding us and so far it has been a fantastic experience. Sacrifice, well... we are moving in with my parents to use my money towards advertising.

Point is, make your own future... Pursue your dream while you are young. You have posted several threads about not knowing what you want. What I have learned is that sometimes we do know we are passionate about, just don't know how to make money from it. We are 25 and 24 years old and if we fail... well, she goes back to her own job. But we at least know we tried.

In reality, failure isn't an option and never has been for either of us. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I look back on my life and say... I could've done more.

Best of luck to you and your wife sir.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #64
Rix313
BMW Fanboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4x E30 + F21 M140i LCI2

When I left F1 I pretty much got off the plane, lined up a job to go to, rang the TM and that was the end of that!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #65
Zeitgeist
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I agree that it's not a good idea to burn bridges. But if you don't like what you're doing, then try to find a way to shift into another career. It's just not a good idea to call it quits immediately if you plan on staying in the same industry (or as a general professional courtesy).
Appreciate 0