BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #111
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Who do you use for Gap?

My insurance is around £450, £350 excess, full no claims, part of a multiyear policy with Admiral
I used GapInsurance.co.uk, most of them have a max limit of £50k which is too low. Even my BMW dealer was telling me that the people they used from 1st April where stopping doing up to £100k and limiting to £50k so they are having to send people else where. In fairness like true BMW insurance it costs as much as the GDP of Birmingham so you'd never use them anyway. So not many options for a car this expensive but hopefully OK.

Yeah that's pretty good insurance quote, I think I'd likely get around that price on a 730d where I live as well. Bigger engines = more insurance cost however

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo_spain View Post
Wow, those are really low numbers for insurance, but are we talking about the same kind of insurance?

I'm 37 years old & the full coverage insurance (liability + collision + comprehensive + person injury + medical + gap + towing, etc..) in all EU for 2500Euro/year for this vehicle is a bargain, and gets reduced next year by @ 500Eur if no accidents/repairs, but looking at your numbers I'm a bit surprised.
I'm 39 so similar age. GAP insurance is a separate policy normally in the UK though a lot of insurance companies will do something similar for the first year a new car is insured, just I want it for the full 4 years. I suspect my insurance will drop somewhat next year once the car has dropped in value quite a bit but it'll never get down to 500 Euro's worth, that is very low.

Give or take have the same insurance as you with comprehensive, injury, legal cover, protected no claims, courtesy car, etc, etc. Some of them do breakdown cover but I don't do that because BMW has you covered there on a new car.

At a guess it might be like £970 first year, £700 second, £600 third, £550 last or something like that based on the reducing overall value of the car.

With my Wife's Mini Clubman added it came to £1350 total. Both of us insured to drive the others cars, her's would be lower but she's got that accident within 5 years that bumps it up. Strangely though adding her to my car as a secondary driver makes no difference with her accident. She likely will almost never drive it, she never drives my M5. It's more because it doesn't cost anymore and you never know, I might want to have a kip in the rear or something.

Quote:
Yup FastLane, not fun to drive 600hp car with rwd, summer tyres in rainy weather...
Well sometimes it's fun, it's just not fast

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 04-07-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #112
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Wow, those are really low numbers for insurance, but are we talking about the same kind of insurance?

I'm 37 years old & the full coverage insurance (liability + collision + comprehensive + person injury + medical + gap + towing, etc..) in all EU for 2500Euro/year for this vehicle is a bargain, and gets reduced next year by @ 500Eur if no accidents/repairs, but looking at your numbers I'm a bit surprised.

Yup FastLane, not fun to drive 600hp car with rwd, summer tyres in rainy weather...
My insurance is fully comprehensive, so covers everything you said except medical and gap. Towing is covered by other services, breakdown cover which I have through BMW free (as well as through my bank).
Gap will add another £125 / year roughly
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #113
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I used GapInsurance.co.uk, most of them have a max limit of £50k which is too low. Even my BMW dealer was telling me that the people they used from 1st April where stopping doing up to £100k and limiting to £50k so they are having to send people else where. In fairness like true BMW insurance it costs as much as the GDP of Birmingham so you'd never use them anyway. So not many options for a car this expensive but hopefully OK.

Yeah that's pretty good insurance quote, I think I'd likely get around that price on a 730d where I live as well. Bigger engines = more insurance cost however
Yeah although the first quotes I got were near 1k which was obviously never going to happen. turns out Admiral won't show through comparison sites now if you're an existing customer it seems.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #114
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah although the first quotes I got were near 1k which was obviously never going to happen. turns out Admiral won't show through comparison sites now if you're an existing customer it seems.
Yeah the comparison sites aren't generally all that great, all the insurance companies that don't show on them are normally cheaper. Think it's something like:

I think the main ones are Aviva, DirectLine and LV.

I mean Admiral as I'd said before was £13xx odd on CompareTheMarket but came up as M5 when I went though. I was nicely surprised when I used their site directly and picked the model out by hand plus used multicar it came out much cheaper. I've insured both our cars for what I thought it was going to cost me for just the one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #115
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Also don't forget I don't drive a 760, just a 730 so will be much cheaper anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #116
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Also don't forget I don't drive a 760, just a 730 so will be much cheaper anyway
Yeah of course, still I'd probably have thought a 730d would still be a bit more than that, that seems in a similar level I used to pay for a 330d / 335d.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:00 AM   #117
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Chased this morning, still waiting dispatch to dealer however still on their system to arrive there tomorrow. Fingers crossed it does and I can get it Thursday.

Compared to the speed 325_buck's car got through the UK side to his dealer, this is far far slower for me

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 04-09-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #118
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hope that things work out to get it this week still FasLaneJB
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #119
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well chased again, it's at the dealers. So should be on for Thursday

Finally it's so close, I can almost smell the V12 fumes from here

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 04-10-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #120
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Excellent, great news. 2 more sleeps FLJB....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #121
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
great news! its like getting mine all over again, and waiting for your pics etc
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #122
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Who sleeps when they are getting a new car, it's about 47 more coffees away you mean? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
great news! its like getting mine all over again, and waiting for your pics etc
Will get some up as soon as I can once I get it. Not got the day off work though so probably grab it and back home unfortunately. Be the evening when I get a proper go.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #123
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who sleeps when they are getting a new car, it's about 47 more coffees away you mean? :P
you’re my kind of mate...I am a coffee person and don’t start the day without three capuccinos at the least...

Not long now!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #124
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you're my kind of mate...I am a coffee person and don't start the day without three capuccinos at the least...

Not long now!
Well seems you spend quite a bit of time in the car so I can imagine you need quite a bit to stay alert.

I'll probably have to up my coffee intake because otherwise I'll probably only make it a few miles at a time in a 7 series before needing to pull over and have a nice nap in the back. Hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #125
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well seems you spend quite a bit of time in the car so I can imagine you need quite a bit to stay alert.

I'll probably have to up my coffee intake because otherwise I'll probably only make it a few miles at a time in a 7 series before needing to pull over and have a nice nap in the back. Hehe
Heh, actually you probably won't need coffee at all with the new car...why?

A) you'll need to get fuel so often that you can't fall asleep in that time and will need to stop regularly (and need something to calm the nerves rather than excite them to reduce the shock of the costs...

B) you'll find the acceleration such that you'll be wide awake anyway and not 'relax'

C) you get someone else to drive you around but are petrified in the back even with the seat heaters and massage going as you know what will happen to the insurance and your life situation if they should decide to wrap it around something!

D) You need coffee to stay awake at all the first world problems you'll have to comtemplate such as the above with the new car...

You sure you want the car still?

Wish I could see you in person at this time, the anticipation must be nearly unbearable! I should have arranged for a few of us to stop by with our 7's tonight or tomorrow to 'help' the anticipation factor!
      04-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #126
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Heh, actually you probably won't need coffee at all with the new car...why?

A) you'll need to get fuel so often that you can't fall asleep in that time and will need to stop regularly (and need something to calm the nerves rather than excite them to reduce the shock of the costs...
Sadly this is completely true

Quote:
B) you'll find the acceleration such that you'll be wide awake anyway and not 'relax'
Strangely this is the reverse of the M5. In that car you need to cling onto the wheel for dear life ready to counter correct when the rear decides it doesn't want to go the same way you want it to go

The 760 might be quicker, but it does it with zero fuss at all.

Quote:
C) you get someone else to drive you around but are petrified in the back even with the seat heaters and massage going as you know what will happen to the insurance and your life situation if they should decide to wrap it around something!
I more have to worry about the alloys if the wife's driving it. I don't get as far as worrying about a full write off

Quote:
D) You need coffee to stay awake at all the first world problems you'll have to comtemplate such as the above with the new car...

You sure you want the car still?
Actually you've talked me around. I'll pick it up tomorrow and go sell it for scrap instead :P

Quote:
Wish I could see you in person at this time, the anticipation must be nearly unbearable! I should have arranged for a few of us to stop by with our 7's tonight or tomorrow to 'help' the anticipation factor!
It's pretty high that's for sure.

One picture of my old friend. So long and thanks for all the fishtails. I forgive you dear friend for trying to murder me a few hundred times over our 2+ years together
Attached Images

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 04-11-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 03:36 AM   #127
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Today’s the day! Are you at the dealer yet? Can you concentrate on anything else?

Hope it all goes well and you’re soon in that beautiful blue beast!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #128
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I've got her now. Hand over was quick and in fairness I've had to come home to do work so will have to wait until lunch time when I can pop out quickly, the real play will come after I finish up work for the day though.

It's a miserable day here in Peterborough and really foggy. Also last night when I took the M5 out for a last drive, it's enough that laser lights would be an own goal blinding myself not others

I asked the dealer about a display key case and I've got the newer style one like 325_bucks has that BMW make so that's cool. Didn't have to pay but you'd think so at this price of car. No fancy box as they give out in Spain as I suspected.

Just a gentle drive home so only done a few miles. I did try out the automatic lane changing on the short bit of dual carriageway I get to go on between my house and the dealers. It worked a treat, put the lane guidance on and then hold the indicator at the resistance point. The car checks it's clear and then just glides over from one lane to the other. Pretty cool, probably something I'll hardly ever use though I imagine but still.

Left it in Comfort, put the massage seats and heated arm rests on (Sorry Pelo) and just cruised home in luxury

They didn't debadge it however like I'd asked but said I could bring it in anytime to get them removed if I want. Have a guy over the road who does detailing who might be able to do it. I'm still in two minds though on the rear so I'll leave it just for a little bit but the V12's are tacky I think and must go at some point soon. Obviously by the time I get rid of them everyone will know I'm a git around where I live with a flashy V12 so it'll be too late.

I'm happy with the trim I picked, it was the one item I was a bit worried about maybe looking a bit old manly. I'm still clinging onto my 30's by the skin of my teeth, Hehe. However I think it looks really good and suits the interior well.

Not touched anything on iDrive yet so lots to go through there to set it all up as I'd want it. Interior lights for instance just as I got it which was the blue colour.

Had half a tank of fuel and claimed it had something like 260 miles of range. Clearly it's not calibrated itself yet, I did about 5 miles to get home and just made it.

Didn't sleep amazingly well last night, excited like a kid. It'll be a heavy coffee day I imagine and probably a kip in the back at some point later on in the day...

More impressions will have to come later. God damn work getting in the way of fun
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
bmr760141.00
chris.t28.00
      04-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #129
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
Wow!

Great car! Great Color! Congratulations!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #130
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody View Post
Wow!

Great car! Great Color! Congratulations!

Enjoy!
Thanks ewoody
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #131
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

looks stunning mate, very jealous! Glad you finally got it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #132
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
looks stunning mate, very jealous! Glad you finally got it
Thanks. Got a quick trip out at lunch but the builders on this new build estate have split a ton of mud all over the road. Car's got a big spray of mud on the sides now. Half a day of ownership and about 10 miles and it's pretty dirty already. Bummer...
Appreciate 0