BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Phenomenal! Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #24
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

I did this event in Miami on Friday morning as well. It was a lot of fun to do the various exercises.

The drag race was cool especially since these were high hp cars and then having to go to a dead stop. I also enjoyed the autocross and had a low 15's time in the M4

I had looked forward to the M2 (the black one is a preprod euro spec model with manual everything) and it was awesome in the turns being nimble. I was disappointed thought in the 50 to 100+ acceleration on the track and felt that a lot was left to be desired there.

The M3 lead follow came next after the M2 and I got to do two runs since my partner left early and that one was a blast to drive. It was definitely less agile than the M2 but it definitely had the kind of power that I desired.

I was up in the air about my next car next spring (M2/3/4) but I think this has pushed me a bit away from the M2's. It just didn't feel like that much of an upgrade from my 235 and left quite a bit to be desired on rolling acceleration. Just my thoughts.

Anybody who gets a chance to do this event definitely should. It was awesome and well put together. The instructors were great too.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #25
blanquito
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three
I did this event in Miami on Friday morning as well. It was a lot of fun to do the various exercises.

The drag race was cool especially since these were high hp cars and then having to go to a dead stop. I also enjoyed the autocross and had a low 15's time in the M4

I had looked forward to the M2 (the black one is a preprod euro spec model with manual everything) and it was awesome in the turns being nimble. I was disappointed thought in the 50 to 100+ acceleration on the track and felt that a lot was left to be desired there.

The M3 lead follow came next after the M2 and I got to do two runs since my partner left early and that one was a blast to drive. It was definitely less agile than the M2 but it definitely had the kind of power that I desired.

I was up in the air about my next car next spring (M2/3/4) but I think this has pushed me a bit away from the M2's. It just didn't feel like that much of an upgrade from my 235 and left quite a bit to be desired on rolling acceleration. Just my thoughts.

Anybody who gets a chance to do this event definitely should. It was awesome and well put together. The instructors were great too.
Well put. I agree completely agree with your assessments. I expected to feel more wow factor from the M2 but it felt too similar to the M235i (imho). The M4 felt next level.

I have my eye on going for a competition package M3/4 when I decide it's time for an upgrade.
      08-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #26
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanquito View Post
Well put. I agree completely agree with your assessments. I expected to feel more wow factor from the M2 but it felt too similar to the M235i (imho). The M4 felt next level.

I have my eye on going for a competition package M3/4 when I decide it's time for an upgrade.
I was there as well... what I took away was...

1) The M2 is by far the easier car to drive on the track and a better learning tool.

2) All out, especially after the instructor's ride along, the M3/M4 twins are a completely different level but chances are their capabilities are out of reach for 90%+ of the population. Most people will probably drift these cars half the time at the track... In addition, these latter twins are just far faster in a straight line, but this also contributes to the car's being somewhat all over the place unless you know what you are doing spot on.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
theLeaseGuys
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ED Early Oct

Quote:

Hey guys this event look awesome!! How do I register for it? I just relocated from SoCal to Tampa, FL and did Euro Delivery last October on a '16 F80 M3. I've been itching to get some track/autocross time in some of the M vehicles, is it pretty straight forward registering and signing up or do I need to call in a favor with my CA who's a big time seller of M vehicles. Thanks in advance and my fingers are crossed I can make the trip down there work.

Thanks,
theLeaseGuy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #28
nathan.r007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLeaseGuys
Quote:

Hey guys this event look awesome!! How do I register for it? I just relocated from SoCal to Tampa, FL and did Euro Delivery last October on a '16 F80 M3. I've been itching to get some track/autocross time in some of the M vehicles, is it pretty straight forward registering and signing up or do I need to call in a favor with my CA who's a big time seller of M vehicles. Thanks in advance and my fingers are crossed I can make the trip down there work.

Thanks,
theLeaseGuy
All of the Miami slots for the rest of the week are completely filled.

I've been refreshing the page all day and called three times to see if anyone canceled.

No luck
      08-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #29
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Got the invite but live in Chicago and the options were too limited. Wished BMW rented out the Autobahn or Gingerman for the Midwest folks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Niiice!!

I've just done the same but at Spa-francorchamps with an M2, M3 standard and M3 competition package with M-perf Exhaust

All I can say is if you have the time and you can afford it, do one of the M Track Days IMMEDIATELY!!

As mentioned it's pretty important that you're not afraid of going fast!! (Instructors will guide you off the track if you go too slow, especially seeing we had other GT Sport traffic around us (911s, Ferraris,...)

We had 2 trains (4 drivers) one with an M4 convert (instructor) leading the M2 and an M4 standard. The other an F10 M5 leading the M3 and M3 ZCP!

3 sessions of 35 minutes in 3 cars of our choosing with a driver switch after about 15min. First session was dry, second was moist, third was full on rain!

The GTS was there as well damn the OLEDs look so nice! And the wheels are much nicer in person than in pics

Anyways the ZCP is so much more car (aggressive) than the OEM package it's insane!! Handling, response, and let's not forget the SOUND! No hate on that sound you just can't Got to drive it in the full on rain which was really engaging had the back slide a bit twice! Instructor saw it in his rearview mirror and showed me how to correct to the ideal (wet) line next lap!

Was also amazing how when it's dry the other guys try to blast past you no matter the manoeuvre they have to pull, but the second it started raining we were catching up with em all When the instructor says "okay let's pick up the pace, be sure to avoid understeer here or you're going right into the side of that Ferrari" you get your focus on lol

sooo yeah in short: DO IT! Not a lot of other car manufacturers allow you to have so much fun... we all know no electric car owners get these kind of privileges with their ride

Took my M3 out last year at Spa on a open track day. I love that course! The first downhill then swooping uphill right turn is to die for.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

My wife just declined her reservation for Thursday, not sure how it works but hopefully one of you guys can see an open spot and register for it!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #32
Godchild14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanquito
Hi everyone,

I finished my day at BMW M track days down at Homestead-Miami speedway. Story short, it was amazing!! Tons of seat time between the three events.

Here is my run down of the day:

Everything starts with a quick safety and driving brief. Instructor was funny but nothing really new here. Quick talk of cornering, braking, and picking a racing line. Then off to the events. (Coffee and light food options were also available)

Event one: drag racing
"Pinks style" drag race with a stop box at the end. Everyone gets one race per car. Cars to drive were X6M, M5, M6 convertible (top down!). The M5 and M6 both had ceramic brakes. It was interesting to see stopping distances decrease as they came up to temperature. Wow these cars have short braking distances! The X6M is no slouch either. It held its own nicely.

Event two: lead/follow lapping
Put on some helmets and it's time for the part I was most excited about. They start us out in M2s (instructors were in M235is . They take us out on the track right away. By the second corner we were at speed. I didn't expect the pace to be so fast on the first lap!! That was cool. The course was a modified version of the road course at Homestead-Miami speedway. They added in the banked turns of 3 and 4 of the nascar oval. Those were more fun than expected. 18-20 degrees of banking feels wild. Drivers cycle and take turns as the car immediately following the instructor. Complete 4-5 laps and then swap with the passenger.

M235i in capable hands is quick! The instructors would end up with huge leads after the more technical turn sections.

Then they have us hop into an M3 or M4 and do the same drill. This time they have us set the car to M1 (preset with max throttle response and firmest suspension and such). My car had the M performance exhaust - very nice!

One person had an issue at this point and went off the track. Talking with the instructors later, they said the car had a "chassis stabilization" error while driving. When this happens the computer turns off DSC and other nanny features!! they ended up spinning into a wall! Damage seemed minor though.

I have seen this error pop up on threads before, didn't know how it would affect the car though.

Seat time in the M3/M4 was the same as in the M2. I was impressed. Way more laps than expected.

Event three: autocross!
Once again in the M4, this time car was set to MDM and required use of paddle shifters!! Love it.

The course was short and had a stop box finish. Penalties were in effect. We got three laps. Times for this were from the mid 15s to high 18s. I came in with a mid 16 - I was excited.

Now it's time for an instructor hot lap. We pile into an M3 and set off. This was humbling. I had personal confidence and felt I was "putting in work"... So much room to grow. These cars are phenomenal. First time hard braking nearly had my face into the dash. It's everything and more of those videos on YouTube. Our car started to shred a rear wheel. The driver was not phased one bit. When we get out, a chunk of tire about the size of my palm was gone and cords exposed. Wow.

Then it was off to lunch. BMW did not skimp. Steak sandwich or chicken and tons of other stuff in what has to be the coolest lunch box! Steak was perfect and thick. Very nice touch.

Sadly that was it. Not a bad way to spend the morning!!

(Typed from my cell phone. Sorry for the small grammar errors)

Photos:

Note the M4 GTS. So sexy

M2s with a M235i leader

Autocross at a distance

Autocross and an i8

Lunch

Thanks BMW, but do I really have to leave?!

Attachment 1479433

Attachment 1479434

Attachment 1479445

Attachment 1479446

Attachment 1479458

Attachment 1479471

Attachment 1479475

Attachment 1479477

Attachment 1479481

Some more photos by brrgofast and ric124:

Great I had an awesome time as well which M was your favorite my favorite was the M2
      08-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #33
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Do you get a $1000 voucher for attending too?
      08-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #34
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Went to limerock m event!! It was an amazing experience. However the m cars felt great but my 340 xdrive is about 85% what an m3 is and for the nyc roads I think the 340 works great. If I lived in an area with better roads. I would make jump to m3. M2 didn't live up to hype.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #35
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45
Do you get a $1000 voucher for attending too?
No you don't get voucher. You get a free m experience which is worth Atleast 1k.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10057.00
      08-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #36
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Did this last Friday, was an awesome event.

Anyone that gets the email to go jump on it immediately! Really itching to do the M school now.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
blanquito
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid
Did this last Friday, was an awesome event.

Anyone that gets the email to go jump on it immediately! Really itching to do the M school now.
I went with my wife. She loved it. I think I finally got the seal of approval for the 2 day M school
      08-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #38
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Can't wait to participate in this
      08-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #39
Kristalov
Dr. K
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 718 GT4RS,'19 F82, '24 G87

Garage List
Come on tell us.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #40
Alfonso235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

How much is this? I want to go!
I am very close to that track
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #41
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristalov View Post
Come on tell us.....
A cardboard 3d thing that you put your phone in. I was quite disappointed when I got that as the packaging made it look like something so much nicer!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #42
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

My box came with Note 7 and a USB dongle shaped like a miniature 7 series. I heard others got peanuts. 😎
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #43
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

M2 was so meh compared to M3 I wondered out loud if it had wrong gas in it. 😏
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 (M3)

Did people get an invite? I live in Miami and bought an M3 in Jan...gonna be a bit pissed/disappointed if I didn't make the invite list. But maybe it was an opt in deal?
Appreciate 0