BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The The Guillotine Screen

Okay, what do you think of my new name to describe the tablet screen sticking out of the dash on the newer BMWs: g11, and virtually the new lineup:

The Guillotine Screen!

Do you think this name will catch on?

The f01/f02 dash is beautiful. Plus, at night, it looks like a true cockpit.

The new g11 dash attempts to put the focus on technology by placing (annoyingly) a protruding tablet screen into your line of sight.

You end up with what looks like to me to be the blade of a guillotine that has slammed down straight into the dash---all that's missing is a head rolling into the bucket.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

I refuse to purchase ANY car that has a foking TABLET sticking out of the dash, looking like an afterthought!
      01-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I refuse to purchase ANY car that has a foking TABLET sticking out of the dash, looking like an afterthought!
I really liked the E90+F01+F10 built in design.
The tablet thing is awful. But at least BMW made theirs better than many other makes ( eg Mercedes C class)
      01-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
I really liked the E90+F01+F10 built in design.
The tablet thing is awful. But at least BMW made theirs better than many other makes ( eg Mercedes C class)
Totally agree. That slab of screen sticking up is going to take some getting used to. At the very least they could have made it retractable or something. I guess they figure drivers won't go a minute without needing access to the screen, so it's permanently affixed. Imagine all the dust and crap that's going to build up behind it

I'm planning to put another 10K miles (or so) on my existing 7-series before starting the search for something new. I soooo want it to be the new G12 7-series. Surprisingly, I like the exterior design, but the interior just isn't doing it for me.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
talaipwros
Private
Rep
Drives: Model2018 740d xdriveMsport

the F01 interior is much better. Not sure what BMW guys were thinking. They should have a look at the new S-Class interior I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaipwros
the F01 interior is much better. Not sure what BMW guys were thinking. They should have a look at the new S-Class interior I think.
In the past (not so much anymore), whenever bmw introduced a new model the steering wheel would be thin. Then, as the model ages during its roughly 7 year cycle, each year the steering wheel gets thicker. This adds an ever increasing level of attraction on main thing you touch in the car.

Well, maybe the G11 is the same idea. Bmw decided to make the interrior of the G11 butt ugly so we all get used to it for 7 years. Then, 8 years from now when bmw replaces the g11, bmw will revert back to a much better cockpit design and this will send sales flying.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

The tablet thing has actually grown on me. I'm coming from an E60 and E91, and I really like the swoopy nature of the idrive housings in both. When I first sat in some of the newer designs in a 3, 6, etc., I didnt like the screens. But then I got a loaner 3 while some work was being done on the 5, and now I like the tablet - it almost feels like they opened up some of the space around the screen that normally would be taken up by the bulky housing around the screen, and effectively lowering the dash (adding more visibility) while keeping the screen in the perfect place. Then, I sat in an F10 and the dash looked old to me, and too clunky around the screen area.

The F01 still feels great, but that's more because it's such an open and luxurious cockpit anyway. But I think that the "tablet" screen will make it feel even more airy once we all start driving around with them.
Appreciate 1