BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #111
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I have got to know which dealership this was ... because I will never, never, ever buy anything from it or any dealership affiliated with it ever again, and I will encourage my friends to treat it the same.

PM me if you feel more comfortable. But refusing a test drive on the basis of a customer not needing one is like buying a suit without trying it on. It's patently inane from a sales standpoint.

"You have a bunch on the lot and they're not sold, don't you? So, why can't I drive it, again?"
Totally AGREE.

It happened in NJ, not Big D. But I can tell you that it was: Chevrolet of Jersey City.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #112
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I think its unanimous that the Cadillac dealership experience sucks ass.

We should email a transcript of this thread to GM execs. They're so unhinged and oblivious.

There dealership network is riddled with condescending, undereducated, unprofessional dbags. They were probably riding gravy train selling Devilles, STDs, DTSs, and Broughams to old blue hairs at "AARP" pricing rather than more savvy consumers whom actually give a shit about what they drive and not just that crest on the hood.
It isn't, they're just taking their sweet time with making changes.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...to-700-dealers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #113
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So how many BMW/Mini dealerships are there? BMW of Sterling (VA) sold BMWs along side Minis for years. They've now since moved the BMW dealership across the street and sell Rolls Royce with Mini. It's a stupid argument.

I'd bet half the posters here have never even driven an ATS. It blows away the F30. But then there's always the infamous the Caddy's (fit any American car here) interior sucks. It doesn't actually. The CUE once you get used to it, works great. Go on any of the Cadillac Forums and that will be the consensus you'll fund. The CUE system "sucks" because a bunch of journalists spend a few hours with it and don't learn it completely.
No, the ATS's interior sucks. The center console attracts fingerprints since it's all touch sensitive but some idiot decided to make the material this glossy material so fingerprints show on it.

The gauges are dull and the backseat is small. I considered one but couldn't get over those things, especially the fingerprints since I can be a bit ADD about stuff like that. The actual CUE system didn't bother me much, I could learn it but it does have a steeper learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #114
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Well, I am employed by a company very closely associated to General Motors.

And GM cars are selling just fine. Our annual bonuses have gone up in percentage the last 3 years and are expected to continue.

Keep buying and leasing cars people - you are putting food on my table !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #115
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The gauges are dull
Dem gauges...

BMW may get flack for having plain interiors but at least they're functional, not whateverthefuckthisis.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #116
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Dem gauges...

BMW may get flack for having plain interiors but at least they're functional, not whateverthefuckthisis.
It's like the R&D team focused heavily on driving experience and little on anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #117
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
It isn't, they're just taking their sweet time with making changes.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...to-700-dealers
That's good news. Unfortunately, my experiences pre-date the inception of this concept. Thus, perhaps more of the "Chevy dealers selling Cadillacs out of their back door.."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #118
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dem gauges...

What is this? Why is the speedo so cramped and why is it Opposite Day for the fuel gauge?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #119
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
What is this? Why is the speedo so cramped and why is it Opposite Day for the fuel gauge?
Because GM.

They probably started off with a normal interior and the execs were like NEEDS MORE SHINY BITS, THOSE EASY TO READ GAUGES GOTTA GO WE GOTTA BE SPECIAL, CURVE THE DASH MORE, DOUBLE THAT TOUCH SCREEN AND MAKE ALL THE BUTTON TOUCH SENSITIVE!!

Then the lowly engineer was like should we remove the shiny backing where people might to--

To which the execs interrupt, NOOOOOOO!!!

...or at least that's how I imagine it in my head.
Appreciate 5
      05-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #120
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Why is it Opposite Day for the fuel gauge?
I get the thought: If the needle is horizontal = danger. But that's equating a needle with, well, being flaccid instead of pointing up (ahem) ...

If the new Cruze had that gauge layout, it would be befitting of it. That's just not right for a performance car. At least put the tach in the center since there's a digital speed readout, you know, RIGHT BENEATH IT and all ...
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #121
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Guys, I just got a headache from decoding that instrument pod.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #122
Beartato
Major
Rep

So the familiar layout of the gauges was bothering me, until I remembered GM had already committed a similar design travesty with the last Grand Prix.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #123
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the familiar layout of the gauges was bothering me, until I remembered GM had already committed a similar design travesty with the last Grand Prix.

This is actually BETTER!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #124
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Dem gauges...

They need a number for every 10mph increment? How slow is this car?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #125
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

That's like trying to decode Klingon
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #126
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What's with the "Terminator" font on the RPM? What does Widetruck have to do with RPMs? I'm actually confused again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #127
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Because GM.

They probably started off with a normal interior and the execs were like NEEDS MORE SHINY BITS, THOSE EASY TO READ GAUGES GOTTA GO WE GOTTA BE SPECIAL, CURVE THE DASH MORE, DOUBLE THAT TOUCH SCREEN AND MAKE ALL THE BUTTON TOUCH SENSITIVE!!

Then the lowly engineer was like should we remove the shiny backing where people might to--

To which the execs interrupt, NOOOOOOO!!!

...or at least that's how I imagine it in my head.
You and me both, it's funny how while certainly capable of building a great and competitive car, they always find the way to mess it up somehow.

That said, this morning I had CTS-V V8 manual, black in showroom condition next to me on the road. It sounded quite good, and looked good too, from behind and from the side. Then I saw that grille and headlights, looks are subjective I know, but not "my thing".

Later I went online and checked the pricing, only added Recaro sports seats as an option. Total came to 96K Canadian, that's 109.4K Canadian on the road (taxes in - assumed MSRP pricing).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #128
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's with the "Terminator" font on the RPM? What does Widetruck have to do with RPMs? I'm actually confused again.
It says Widetrack. They used to market Grand Prix's for their handling since they were wider than the competition.

In truth they handled like shit.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #129
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Dem gauges...

I agree the ATS's instrument panel is pretty poor but how is this not functional? I can tell my speed, gas, temp., then the three panels on the bottom can show whatever else I want. Also, seeing it this way requires a flash or some odd extra light as reality is it is black and you can't see the background.

I made a list of what was most important to me and handling, steering feel, weight, price, RWD, long term reliability were far higher on the list than the gauges. If gauges are the top of your list you don't want an ATS.

I am really happy the Ultimate Driving Machine is being defended by comparing gauges, dealership showrooms, styling, salesman, and especially image to a Cadillac (to me Cadillac wins on this one), never would have thought it would have been possible. A few years ago a Cadillac would never have even been discussed on a BMW forum, people wouldn't care enough to comment, good to see more competition.

On a side note 2017 gets new gauges.
      05-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #130
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I agree the ATS's instrument panel is pretty poor but how is this not functional? I can tell my speed, gas, temp., then the three panels on the bottom can show whatever else I want. Also, seeing it this way requires a flash or some odd extra light as reality is it is black and you can't see the background.
Functional is subject, but I'd stay placement. Sure, in a literal sense the gauges are functional, but subjectively having the tachometer squeezed to the side as an afterthought of sorts is a big one. The crowded speedometer (increments of 10) seems like an odd choice for a performance car. The fuel gauge just seems off in its direction. Overall the spacing too, feels like a lot of wasted space.

If they put the speedo/tach on two arches over the display and moved the fuel gauge to the bottom left I think it'd be a lot more function and aesthetically pleasing. Using my super MS Paint skillz here is my approximation of what I mean (layout-wise):

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #131
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

I made a list of what was most important to me and handling, steering feel, weight, price, RWD, long term reliability were far higher on the list than the gauges. If gauges are the top of your list you don't want an ATS.

I am really happy the Ultimate Driving Machine is being defended by comparing gauges, dealership showrooms, styling, salesman, and especially image to a Cadillac (to me Cadillac wins on this one), never would have thought it would have been possible. A few years ago a Cadillac would never have even been discussed on a BMW forum, people wouldn't care enough to comment, good to see more competition.

On a side note 2017 gets new gauges.
I personally agree with the fact that gauges are not dealbreakers. Plus, I agree with you on the other criteria. For me, and I had established this before, I never even had the chance to test drive the ATS I wanted.

So is the dealership experience important? To me, hell yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #132
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Totally AGREE.

It happened in NJ, not Big D. But I can tell you that it was: Chevrolet of Jersey City.
That "our clients prefer no or low miles on X car" is a common bs thing car salesmen say. The guy said it to me when I called about that new 2016 Camaro SS. I told him I'd drive my Z06 to a dealer that wants to sell me a car. Oh, suddenly they want me to come in LOL
Appreciate 0