BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Motor Trend vid: Camaro Z/28 vs Mustang Shelby GT350R

Put your volume all the way up and enjoy

Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Got about a second and a half in when I realized it was this guy. Carlos was great. I can't tolerate this assclown.

I'm sure it's a nice comparo, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Got about a second and a half in when I realized it was this guy. Carlos was great. I can't tolerate this assclown.

I'm sure it's a nice comparo, though.
Trust me, I hate him too, but I'm not about to let this queer destroy this comparo for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Carlos was boring and what the hell is he doing now, nothing! Followed the money trail
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k4 View Post
Carlos was boring and what the hell is he doing now, nothing! Followed the money trail

I never understood why so many liked Carlos as much as they did. As much as everyone likes to talk shit about Lieberman, at least he has personality.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Seemed the whole thing was meant to lean towards the GT350R, though I agree it is the better overall car (though with the dealer markup, why not just buy a Z06?). Z/28 being heavier doesn't help at all. Talk all you want about that flat plane Ford motor, the LS7 is clearly the better power plant - makes basically the same HP and way more torque with a much flatter power band...on a 10 year old motor design (and just a cam swap away from being much more potent).

I realize this is a stock vs stock test - I'd love to see this same test (on the track) running equal wheels/rubber. I have a feeling the next generation Z/28 won't have much of an issue eating this GT350R.

**As a disclaimer, I've owned a Camaro, Mustang and currently a Firebird Formula (that I've owned for 16 years).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I had a 2010 Camaro and it was a fun car. At the time, it was simply a far better design than the mustang, because it could fit much wider tires, cooled the brakes much better, stuck to the road much better, put down the power much better, had better weight balancing, and so forth. It was heavier, for sure, but at the same time it was more of the "complete" package. Each equivalent model easily bested the ford equivalent (SS vs GT, 1LE vs Boss, Z28 vs. Shelby) because the car wasn't just designed as a "one trick pony".

Now, ford actually has a car that puts down the power. It's better and it does all those things mentioned above for the most part, but better. Props to ford for actually making a competitive car. The Z28 is by no means a joke and the time and speeds around the track show it, but finally the ford is something that should get some street cred for being a capable machine and not just some supercharger on skinny wheels.

This does kind of make you want to find the engineers from the 90s and early 2000s and punch them in the face though...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

This guy is f*cking terrible. Besides that both these cars are amazing.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Yeah... He's pretty annoying. GT350R = Best Pony Car EVER!
      11-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Glad the mustang won but it sucks it took this long for competition to catch up. However can't forget it costs less, weighs less, and looks better (imo). Scary to think what next gen camaro will do at this rate
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

This does kind of make you want to find the engineers from the 90s and early 2000s and punch them in the face though...
Seriously there is no conceivable excuse for the shit they made
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

GT350R is quicker despite the Z28 having superior tires. Those Trofeo R's on the Z28 are basically street legal slicks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
This guy is f*cking terrible. Besides that both these cars are amazing.
Agree. Dudebro sucks....cars are the only reason I watched, the only. GT350r is hawt.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I'll go against the grain and say that he's way more enjoyable to watch than Lago or Lieberman. Everyone pumps out cookie cutter video reviews these days, so it's nice to get someone that puts some effort into the humor side of things.

Call him a try-hard; at least he isn't boring.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

He reminds of the guy in school that tried too hard to be funny but really wasnt. Must be an only child. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I'll go against the grain and say that he's way more enjoyable to watch than Lago or Lieberman. Everyone pumps out cookie cutter video reviews these days, so it's nice to get someone that puts some effort into the humor side of things.

Call him a try-hard; at least he isn't boring.
he is definitely better than lieberman. i don't think anyone likes that guy. when i think about it i guess lagos was cookie cutter, but most of us liked him. this new guy honestly isn't that bad, but the comments regarding him trying too hard is accurate. he just needs to tone it down a notch and it wouldn't be that bad at all. still a great video
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Need Carlos back.

Anyway, the GT350R is beast. Would love to trade my Boss 302 in for a regular 350 if I could afford it. Not too surprised at the results. ford had no choice but to win this battle. Reminds me of the '03 Cobra killing off the dead '02 F-Bodies. This time Chevy can come right back, which they will.

Quote:
GT350R is quicker despite the Z28 having superior tires. Those Trofeo R's on the Z28 are basically street legal slicks.
The Sport Cup 2's on the R models are just about as aggressive as the Trofeo R's. The R has a bigger combined contact patch than the Z/28 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I Each equivalent model easily bested the ford equivalent (SS vs GT, 1LE vs Boss, Z28 vs. Shelby) because the car wasn't just designed as a "one trick pony".
I wouldn't call the Boss a "one-trick pony" at all. Very balanced vehicle. It's only problem is it's lack of front end grip. If it could fit 275's up front, it would be much quicker. The 1LE is quicker around a track but I don't think it's as fun to drive IMO.

Besides that, the Boss's V8 is probably one of the best V8's I've used. Much more character than the LS3 stock for stock, and more robust and unique as well.

Now the GT and GT500 are different stories...

Last edited by See5; 11-27-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Not a fan of this guy, but I've been dying for this comparo to happen.

I can't fault them for giving the Mustang the 'W'. It performed as good if not better than the Z at everything while being the easier, friendlier car to drive.

That said, I would hardly call the Z/28's steering 'numb'. I'm lucky enough to have gotten to drive one hard a few times, and the steering was sublime. Did it have first-rate feel? No, but in today's world of EPS systems, it's as good as I've come across. And despite the poor outward visibility and cheap interior, the car is easy enough to drive. You could put a set of SS 20's and Pilot SS's on it for daily use and regularly drive the thing just fine.

Truth is, the Shelby should have won this comparo. It's the latest and greatest, going up against a car that's being phased out. The new base SS is already dangerously close to the GT350, and the Z WILL have a successor. But at this point, even a 1LE may have the Mustang's number. Also, in the real world, the R is going to have 10K markups, and leftover Z/28's can be bought for low 50's. For that kind of money, I'll take the Camaro all day. The Shelby may be better, but I promise you it's not 25 grand better.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
And did you ever read about Motor Trend swapping tires from a stock 1LE with a stock Z/28? The Z/28 is a properly setup car that doesn't rely on just the tires.

And yes, this dude is a douche. I can't believe people like him are allowed to host a car show.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
And did you ever read about Motor Trend swapping tires from a stock 1LE with a stock Z/28? The Z/28 is a properly setup car that doesn't rely on just the tires.
Chris Harris ran the 991 GT3 at Portimao circuit(same day) with Michelin PSC2 vs Trofeo R. He was just over 2sec quicker on the Trofeo's.

Last edited by hellrotm; 11-27-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post

I wouldn't call the Boss a "one-trick pony" at all. Very balanced vehicle. It's only problem is it's lack of front end grip. If it could fit 275's up front, it would be much quicker. The 1LE is quicker around a track but I don't think it's as fun to drive IMO.

Besides that, the Boss's V8 is probably one of the best V8's I've used. Much more character than the LS3 stock for stock, and more robust and unique as well.

Now the GT and GT500 are different stories...
60/40 weight balance isn't "balanced". The reason it's a "one trick pony" is that they didn't design it with the ability for it to "grow" for these different disciplines, like having it be able to fit wide rear tires for drag racing or whatever, but also being able to fit wide front tires for the track. Then there's the brakes, which had the fade issues compared to the camaro, which significantly affected it's times around the track. And most importantly, there's the solid rear axle. The car in general has so many things going against it to start with.

It might have a decent engine, although the torque curve on the LS3 is pretty hard to beat, but the Achilles Heel is the chassis, which was kind of designed without the foresight for all these things, hence keeping it restricted to a pretty narrow performance band. It seems to have been designed as the "ole straight-line muscle car".

That's changed now. The GT350R isn't "earth shattering" compared to the Z28, but it's up there and not suffering from all the same inherent limitations of the previous generation. That is what's exciting. If anything, Ford has matched the Z28, but that in itself is miles ahead of where they were a few years ago, when their offerings didn't seem "serious". And doing this at a lower pricepoint does start to get pretty impressive. It's like they designed the current chassis with these things in mind this time

Last edited by RM7; 11-27-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Reminds me of the '03 Cobra killing off the dead '02 F-Bodies.
No, closing of the Sainte-Thérèse killed the F-body. GM did a god awful job marketing it (and most other cars during the 90's to be honest). Then it was building a car (well, 2 cars) in a plant designed for a far larger production run - one a pony car of any brand couldn't do. It was an aging plant that they closed vs retooling and making vehicles that belong in it.

The just as aging Mustang had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Unique, sure. Character...not sure what that means. Robust - jury is out on that one. Forged internals but how many high HP boosted Boss 5.0's are running around (plenty of LS3's). Power wise, it make a bit more HP but less torque, so it's a wash, with the LS3 having a flatter power band. I'd much prefer the LS3 for it's much larger aftermarket offerings, easier to work on/mod, lower cost, lighter weight and overall power potential.
Appreciate 0